What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mex. Ping.

Um. One of my mexican pings just startedto be healthy. its really small, and I was wondering if it can skip dormancy, and sorta flourish a bit, or should I let it go into dormancy, and just get rid ofits newest leaves for some succulent ones...

Thanks alot
Greg

Greg

Dormancy, or the idea that a plant has gone to sleep for the winter, is a fine concept for most CPs. With Pings however, most don't actually go dormant, though many do change growth strategy from carnivorous (larger sticky leaves) to a succulent strategy (smaller, non-carnivorous leaves), they are not technically dormant, they are still actively photosynthesising etc. There are a few mexican Pings, such as P. heterophylla, which form a dormant underground bulb, and can be considered truly dormant. Other species don't change growth strategy and remain carnivorous all year (eg. P. emarginata). Between these two extremes there is a whole range, and their care, particularly with regard to watering, varies accordingly. Also, some species and hybrids are far more tolerant of the conditions they are kept in , and don't mind being kept warmer and wetter than others.

Which species do you have? and under what conditions do you grow it?

Vic

Back