What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gnats dried up butterwart

fre8train

BANNED
It seems as though all of a sudden my butterwart has started to turn brown and dry around every dead gnat. The new growth is green and lush. But the leaves that are hosting dead gnat carcass are turning brown around the dead bugs, as if they killed the leaf that they died on. I am confused. Is this how the plant lives putting out more growth every time a bug kills the old leaf or should the leaf eat the bug and stay green. The butterwart ate gnats before and it never seemed to do this in the past. Should I cut these leaves off to focus energy on new growth or will the leaves revive themselves.

Interesting, I've never seen this occur before. Drying is typically just caused by the leaf being old or your conditions being to hot or not humid enough. Perhaps with your set up the stress of digesting the insects is just enough to create localized tissue death and drying. Personally I'd try to optimize the humidity or temperature and see if that improves the situation. To assist in this, a combo thermometer and humidity gauge can be purchased at most garden stores or walmart/home depot/ lowes type places.

The temp is a constant 72-78 degrees  give or take 10 degrees for night and winter.  The butterwart grows in a water bottle with punctured holes in the top to breathe and condensation is on the inside daily. I flick the side to make rain fall on the plant when it is too wet to add more water  

I now removed those bottom leaves to push energy on to the new growth and to let the small pups on the side more room to develop before cutting and rooting them.
    T optimize humidity I need to know the best humidity for a ping. is 100% too much is 69% enough, that is the relative humidity where i live in southern California. Does anybody have a ping in southern California that they leave not in a enclosed environment, to soak up the natural humidity.

I live in socal.

I have numerous pings unenclosed. They sit in a tray of water though, and I keep the water 1-2". Sometimes I'll let the tray dry out completely, but never more than one or two days. If you have p.primuliflora though, it really, really, really LOVES extra humidity. I keep that one under a plastic cup and it goes nuts with extra dew and faster plantlet growth on leaves.

p.primuliflora is my only ping, I dont ever leave her in sitting water though. I have a heap of marbles that rises above the water level inside the water bottle which the ping sits on in order to rise humidity with less chance of root rot.  maby I will consider submerging her in a inch of h2o sometimes.

Back