What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ping Weser

N

nich

Hi All,

I just bought a ping 'Weser' here in the UK, and I was wondering if anyone knows what it is and what sort of conditions it likes.  It's my first ping for a good few years and I'm not really familiar with the ins & outs of keeping them.  Do they like similar conditions to my d.capensis/aliciae? Thanks for any advice!

Best regards,
Nick
smile.gif

Hi Rich,

Pinguicula x "Weser" is a hybrid Mexican Pinguicula of moranensis x ehlersae. The Mexican species have a seasonal care regimen. I have my Mexican species in a mix of 1:1:1
peat/pearlite/vermiculite. In the winter, the plants produce winter non-carnivorous leaves, and I keep the mix nearly dry at this time, and in somewhat lower humidity for this dormancy.

As spring approaches and the days lengthen, this triggers the production of much larger carnivorous leaves, at which point I keep the plant in a tray watering system with a couple of cc of distilled water. Plants usually flower in the summer, and the flowers are large and beautiful.

For me, the plants seem to prefer cooler temps, growing very well at 15-23c. I have had heat stress problems with temps above 29c where the plants want to revert back to the winter dormant state.

I try to keep my lights set to a natural photoperiod for the season, and the plants are some 50cm from the two 40 watt tubes.

Hope this helps!

Hi Tamlin,

That helps a lot - thanks
smile.gif
 I've repotted it now in a mix of 1:1:1:1 (peat:perlite:sand:vermiculite), and I'm keeping it watered using the tray system.

Thanks for all of the info about its behaviour in winter & summer - I'll have a good idea of how to treat it now
smile.gif

Best regards,
Nick.

Pinguicula 'Weser' can be grown easily and does not always need a careful "dry season". I have grown mine for more than 4 years now without a seasonal change in their growing conditions. I have grown them under artificial light and have multiplied my original plant many hundreds of times over. I have also self-pollinated the flowers and obtained viable F2 seed and grown a nice population of segregating progeny (various degrees of resemblence to either parents) looking for a new F2 plant with outstanding characteristics, possibly a candidate for cultivar status of its own.
biggrin.gif

By the way, my avatar is a recent photo of one of my Pinguicula 'Weser'.

Back