What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting pic...

When I recently visited Lee's Botanical Gardens I took a pic of his pings (not sure what kind). The thing that stood out in this picture was the single plant with a yellow flower. I could kick myself in the *** for not buying it but... oh well. Maybe I'll still get it. Here's the pic...

Pings_web.jpg

Those right there look like P.Planifolia. Nice picture!

I believe that yellow one is actually a lutea

Pyro, I was making an educated guess, that's all. I am no Ping expert but tried.
smile.gif

NepG,

I'm no Ping expert either and I wasn't trying to say you were wrong. I was just stating what I believed the yellow one was.

No harm meant

Pyro

I didn't take any offense Pyro.
smile.gif
I hope I didn't make you think I did. Sorry if I did.

Boys, boys... all I know is it was a large growing area with all purple fowers except 1... all the plants looked the same to me and the one with the yellow flower struck me. I want it and I will probably get it.
smile.gif

(Edited by Dyflam at 8:35 pm on April 5, 2002)

Yes, it is a Pinguicula lutea, easy to ID as this is the only yellow flowering North American temperate ping. The flowers can get quite large on this species.

Unlike palnifolia and primuliflora which appreciate very wet conditions, this one likes it just a little less wet.

I would say that most likely those are all <i>P. caerulea</i>, whereas the yellow-flowered plant is a <i>P. lutea</i>. Both of these plants look almost identical other than the color of the flowers, which would explain why they were all planted together.

OK... i found out what they are. Yellow is P. lutea and the others are P. caerulea. Now we can all sleep easy. Havron wins... good job man!

Edit: By the way... thanks everybody!!

(Edited by Dyflam at 9:27 pm on April 6, 2002)

So Dyflam are you going to get any of them?

Ordered 2 of each. I think they'll look good clustered together in a pot.

My pings arrived today along with an extra and some live sphagnum. They look a little tired from the trip but i think they'll be ok.

:biggrin:

Back