What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula Relocating to Hawaii

Hello Ping lovers!

I've been reading a few posts from the Ping archive every night. There has been so much excellent information in your posts! I do, however operate in a tropical rather than temperate or sub-tropical zone. In short, I live in Hawaii in the hot lowlands, and wonder if I can successfully grow any Pings.

I read Vic Brown's reply that indicates that out of the Mexican Butterworts, Pinguicula emarginata and P. moctezumae do not require a cool dry winter. May I ask if any of you can add to this list?

Kaneohe, Hawaii temperature is 79-85+ depending on the season. Are there any Pings I can grow without artificial coolants or dry dormancies?

My apologies if this question has been addressed before. If it has, please ignore me, and my best wishes to you and yours! If it has not been asked previously, I would be most grateful for your observations and experiences!

All the best to you all!
Johji Wannabe

Those are almost exactly the conditions I grow all of my Mexican Pinguicula in, all year long. Though here in Tucson, Arizona I do it indoors under lights and air conditioning.
smile.gif

Along with emarginata and moctezumae, gigantea and most agnata forms do not require a dormancy period.

you can probabaly grow some of the cuban species or US species like ionantha fairly well

Cuban species tend to be on the difficult side of cultivation from what I have heard. The only Cuban pinguicula I can think of right now that is in cultivation is P.filifolia. These guys like it very warm(80's-90's) during the day and night.

Ionantha and primuliflora will likey grow well in the lowland hawaiian areas if provided shading.

Back