What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deformed traps

I would like to know if anyone has had this same problem. Bugs, that I’m pretty sure are mosquitoes- maybe something similar-, land on premature pitchers and suck an area dry leaving it grossly deformed often forcing the pitcher to open prematurely.

I've seen them do this and later observed that area to have the aforementioned characteristics. The bugs seem picky about what species they do this too. My khasiana x alata got the brunt of this until I moved it to a hanging area. For some reason the bugs stopped messing up my pitchers. Now, I haven’t seen this for a while. This did, however, happen to a lot of pitchers a while back.

Anyone else see this strange behavior before?

Jonathan

Hello,
I haven't personally seen it before, but mosquitoes is probably the solution, the males live off of plants, which could be "sucking" your nep picthers dry, causing them to open prematurely?
Kevin

I've seen big grasshoppers eating the area where the peristome connects to the lid of the pitcher right after the pitcher opens. The same...$%&!...grasshoppers just ate the new growth on my lime tree.

[Foghorn Leghorn]

I say, I say...This means war! [/FH]

I have not noticed mosquitos on my neps. I was unaware that there was any nep - mosquito connection.

Our mosquito problem has been surprisingly light this year, given the rain. That's another lucky break, I guess. The cold front appears to have stagnated just N of here -- a wealth of lucky breaks.

sarracenialuver, I don't think mosquitoes are the solution, I think they're the problem j/k.

Is there a species of mosquitoe that has a small male. The only male mosquitoes I've known about were the big ones with the daddylonglegs-spider-type legs. The ones I've seen were compact. I've even "gotten" a few of them while they were maimimng my plants.

Thanks, Jonathan

Back