What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

prompting flowering

Anybody know how to prompt nepenthes toflower, naturally,or artifisualy with readily availible chemicals/hormones?
preferably how to prompt naturally such as with enviromental factors such as light,water ect.....

Thanks
Joel

I think some people manage to get their neps to flower by "stressing them out". That is, giving them too much sun, drying them out, etc. I put my khasiana out in direct sun for a month, and i didn't see a #### thing happen, except the leaves getting burnt....
sad.gif

Jœl

You can try using a "bloom" fertilizer. There are several available, and follow the directions. Blooming fertilizer usually is quite low in nitrogen, but high in phosphorous and again low in potash. I think Miracle Gro makes some "bloom booster" that is 10-52-10. Phosphorous can tend to make a plant bloom. In nature, many plants will bloom if stressed due to lack of water also. Avoid giving much nitrogen to the nepenthes if you want them to bloom. It will only tend to force leaf growth. Good luck.

Kim

Why not wait and just let your Nepenthes flower on it's own rather than stressing or forcing it to flower when it may be too early for it to send up a spike? I say just let it go run it's course and it will flower when it is ready.

thats probly what iam going to do. How often do neps ussually flower and when.
Thanks
Joel

I have never tried this with my nepenthes but i have with other plants

find large plastic bag and place potted Plant inside the bag. Then take an plain apple not peeled. in the bag with the Plant. Tie the bag shut and place it in a dark place for about 1 week then take the apple out if it is going bad and place another apple in the bag and put in dark place again. after another week take the plant out of the bag in place back in the original enviroment. In just a few weeks you should see flowers. There is something in the apple that helps promote flowering in plants. Its safe easy and doesnt really stress your plant out. Now i have done this with orchids and other plants and it has worked never tried with nepenthes I think i actually might so i can see if they will flower also.

Well hope it helps with your flowering.

J

Although one can say to just wait until your plant blooms, many times the plant will not bloom even if mature if nitrogen is too high or perhaps the plant is getting too much light or too little light. That is when a bloom fertilizer is an asset. I was not advocating trying to make a tiny plant bloom. This is to be done on adult plants only, but many times it can help. It can also stimulate two different plants that you want to bloom together so croxx pollination can take place. Happy growing.

Kim

The gas that is produced by ripening apples is ethylene. You may want to have a look around on the net before you use it too liberally. It does work on some plants (I believe they use it in Holland to induce flowering in Bromeliads) but have a look at this site as it also has a detrimental effect on other kinds of plants.

http://www.bulb.com/spring/ethylene.asp

Cheers, Troy.

Back