What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cuttings!

I mentioned in another thread that a store nearby came into possession of a bunch of neps that were a little rough, had no pitchers, and were really cheap. I just bought some of them that look like good cuttings candidates. They average under 8 bucks a pop. Here's a pic:

Npes%20for%20cuttings.JPG

Two are N. alata x ventricosa, one is N. x Wrigleyana, and one is a N. x Koto "efflugent". The tall one is the Koto.

I have a bunch of lfs (I'm going to add vermiculite only), some 3.5 inch pots, some rooting gell, and when I get home from dinner tonight, I'm going nuts! Any last-minute tips? I'm going to take about three nodes per cutting, and leave the original plant with a couple or three. I'll put some vertical slits at the base of the stems, too. Then dip in the rooting gel and pot 'em up!

Capslock

Well, you can kinda see in the picture. But they're about 1 1/2 to 3 feet tall. They're going under the knife this morning! Hey, if anyone is reading this, our forecast calls for good humidity into the foreseeable future. If it stays 70+%, can I skip the part where you put the cuttings into plastic bags?

Capslock

I would probably keep them in plastic bags until new growth starts. This way the cuttings have high humidity at all times. However, it is possible to get cuttings to root without putting them in plastic bags. I have taken cuttings of my N. x ventrata and rooted them successfuly in glasses of water just sitting in my growth chamber. However, the humidity level is 80% or higher at all times.

Hi all:

Remember my post on albomarginata X veitchii, well the guy who gave me the cuttings had a 3 metre plant 9 feet (it is folded). I also wanted to ask Nick which ventrata grows in water cups??. I have a cutting from a yellow ventrata.

Gus

Caps

I just made two cuttings from my N bellii, so let me know if you're interested.
wink.gif

Jœl

what conditions are they grown in right now and how big are the cuttings i might be interested

if you want to do a deal then reply my pm box is messed up

Joel, heck yes! That's why I made these, to trade and give away. But we're a bit too early here. Let's wait a month and see what happens. There should be enough for everyone (you too, jmenpkr). By the way, I took some photos of the process, that may be helpful for people.

First, here I am ready to go. I've got my rinsed lfs, vermiculite, and orchid bark mix ready to go. My first nep, my rooting gel, and some pots. Time to go!
Cuttings%201.JPG

And here, I've cut the vine, and am ready to segment it:
Cuttings%202.JPG

Here I've cut it into sections, and afterwards, I put some slits in the bottom to help rooting. Then I dipped in the rotting gel and potted:
Cuttings%203.JPG

And finally, after repeating for all four nepenthes, this is what I've got. I bought two light fixtures for nine bucks each at OSH, along with some cool white tubes at 99 cents a pop, and two agro-sun tubes at fifteen bucks each:
Cuttings%204.JPG

So, now I'll wait a while and hopefully have a whole slew of plants to give away!

Capslock

lol ya it is always good to give plants cuz then other people give you plants too

hint hint
jk
i need to get rid of some of my base cps to make room for some neps

What an amazing deal. You would be surprised at how many people toss cuttings because they lack space or don't have time, and here someone obviously took a little time and sold the rooted cuttings for about $4, I am guessing, and the greenhouse sold them for $7.99 r so to make %50 profit. I work for a grocery chain and that is our floral shops would do, roughly. Anyway, the point being, everybody is happy on this one.

Back