What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my nep ventricosa just came!

my nep. ventr. just got here! it has baby pitchers about 1- 1 1/2" high, do i fill them each about half way? also, there are 2 pitcherplants sold here with a picture, one without a picture, i want to order the gracilis, how large do each of these plants get? i have the other pictured nep. already in a order here to, lol, so , water filling, and size comparison, oh yeah, what about filling with superthrive water?, thanks for any or all the info. on these beautiful plants!

ccrider

Putting superthrive in pitchers, generally speaking, is a no no... I think...

I believe ppl have tried, but many have failed... I may be way off base, but I wouldn't do it.

I would say no. The plants from PFT are extremly well established and will not need any extra boost. Just water and if there is NO LIQUID in the pichers then yes you cna fill them a little less than half way up. If the plants sucks all the water back up them add another less than hlaf amount of water to the pitcher, eventually the water should be mainted at a level.

ok, thanks. the pitchers are all closed right now, so, ill just wait til they open, thanks again!
smile.gif

ccrider

If the lids are closed then you don't need to add water. Nepenthes Gracilis (not you, Nep.G) is a quick growing Nepenthes, meaning you have to prune the plant once in a while. If grown in proper conditions (hot temperate, very humid) the plant can grow quite faster. It is also the easiest plant to make root cuttings. I'm not quite sure how big the pitchers get for these plants. Sorry.
sad.gif

I am gonna see if Phil can change my user name to Nep.G. for less confusion.
smile.gif

If the pitchers arent open yet, it means they are new, therefore do not need water... They make their own juices. Puttin water in is just so that if the pitchers EMPTY during shipping, you can preserve them longer by keeping them wet.

Don't put water in a freshly opened pitcher... They don't open and close liek a VFT remember...

my nep. ventricosa pitchers are opening, but at night, and in the morning, they open a lil during the day, but not fully, its too late, i already filled 2 of them, i hope it does nothing wrong, the others are too small to fill, i raised my humidity to 85%, the plants are dry looking, but shiny, my 4" foliage plant is sprouting leaves like crazy, and it drips water from the tips that form under the leaves, really cool, since they are new, im assuming that i prolly wont have to fill them then, im really concerned on how big my N. Gracilis and my N. rafflesiana is going to get, are they gonna out grow my 125 gal tank? maybe height wise, yes, but what about taking over the tank with vines or pitchers? i have about 10 more plants coming to fill the tank, lol

ccrider

P. S. oh yeah, im not talking about putting superthive in itself, i have made a solution, 2-3 drops per gallon, i fill my spray bottles from there.

ccr

Some advice: 1) try not to overdo it with the humidity and the water 2) make sure you have good air circulation in the tank. You don't want to have a problem with fungus in the tank, so I would recommend that you lower the humidity a bit. C Clarke states in Neps of sumatra that 50-70% RH would be ideal for growing neps. What style of terrarium is it that you're making, a greenhouse style or a planted landscape?

Jœl

its an all glass 125 gal tank, the left end has glass covering it all, the middle has 2 pieces of glass, towards the front, and the right side has no glass, the opening left in front on the right side is covered with saran wrap, the right side of the tank has also been drilled for a pvc bulkhead, all the rest of the opening on top is covered by the light fixture, there is a gap big enough for air exchange, the digital humidifier turn on and of about every 15-20 or so, and theres no condensation on the glass ever, for being such high humidity, also, i read that some of nep. species actually do better in 75+ humidity, thats why its so high
smile.gif
im trying to make a planted landscape with some higher areas, being a lil dryer for some plants, and the lower area, ideal for plants like VFT or sundews

Back