What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody grow N.Mirabilis?

schloaty

Staff member
Hi,
Anyone grow this? I have looked on the internet, and I only find sketchy growing instructions like "keep the soil wet." Does that mean tray method, or frequent watering?
"full to partial diffused sun" : Direct sun bad?
Oh...here's a goody: "keep humid." Okaaaaaaayyy....HOW humid?
Any help is much appreciated.
smile.gif

Also, if anyone has a link to some DETAILED instructions, that would be cool too.

Many people grow this species, and there are many different varieties of it. However,
to the best of my knowledge, virtually all of them prefer very wet conditions. My plants
are actually in trays of water.

Some varieties have very thin leaves, and these are more prone to burning, and more
sensitive to fluctuations in humidity, than their thick-leaved counterparts. Suggest that
you experiment a bit and see what happens. If you're careful, no real damage should be
done. Good luck!

I don't grow mirabilis but I have seen quite a bit and what I've seen tallies with Neps comment above. I have only ever seen mirabilis growing in swamps, very close to the edge of the water and occasionally even in the water.

The only other Nepenthes I have seen that enjoyed the same conditions were raff and gracilis. Raff almost always seems to like the wet too but gracilis can take just about anything.

Lots of sun, lots of warmth.

Cheers, Troy.

Humidity and water are the most important conditions with the mirabilis I grow. Mine seem to prefer a more shaded growing area, and do best when their pots are standing in water. One variety I grow has extremely thin leaves, which the species is noted for. This variety gets a more humid growing area in my shadehouse. I have no special way of measuring the humidity my plants are exposed to...I just know where I have growing space that is more humid, so that's where they go. This species is vigorous.

This is not exactly HELP per se, but I have N. mirabilis cutting that is. Um, alright, and I will be recieving a N. mirabilis "winged"... Thats cool...

Grow your plant as humid as you can, and you wont go wrong. If you acclimate it slowly then you can see its humidity tolerance threshold... Thats not a real phrase, i just made it up.
tounge.gif
hehe...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">humidity tolerance threshold... Thats not a real phrase, i just made it up.  hehe...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

What... a bit like "non-sesile thinking"?

You crack me up Greg!!  
biggrin.gif

I once grew a N. Miribilis; then it died.
sad.gif
As gr8oz said water and humidity are important which is true. Everytime I brought the plant outside to feed ants to it, it would wilt becasue of no humidity presence. But to me the plant grew pretty quickly; developing good pitchers.

Excellent! Thanks for your input! I will let you all know how it goes (might be a while before I can really tell, but
wink.gif
) .
-Dave

Back