What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cobra bite

• Thread starter arie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    cobra
don't you love it
cobra2.jpg

arie

(Edited by arie at 4:37 pm on May 15, 2002)

Hey Arie,

It's beautiful! I've got a Darlingtonia myself but it's not doing well and is in hibernation at the moment. All you need now is a fly inside the hood with a sign that says "Help! I've been trapped in an acid-producing factory!"
wink.gif

hehe

looks very nice arie

when my aunt came over, she said this one looks like a cobra! and then she looked at the ID tag that i stick inside the pots with the name on the tag and she was like ahh i c

hehehe, i like it hen people say good thing about my plants
smile.gif

I've never had good luck with Darlingtonia.

That makes me think of the small darlingtonia I had. I was trying to be nice to it, so I set up a small system that dripped ice water onto it. It plant didn't last long as the water was dripping directly onto and probably freezing the newly emerging leaves. I hope to try my luck with a larger plant, but next time putting ice cubes in the tray might me a better idea.
sad.gif

Rubra

Nice pic, Arie! I love the little clear "windowpanes". I killed a few so I won't try them again for a while. But I do like the way they look.

Suzanne

Very nice pic Arie! I wish mine mine would get that nice but the weather here hasn't been all that great and I think they may still be in a somewhat dormant state.
10073132-e523-012000D8-.jpg

10073131-0584-012000D8-.jpg

Well, I got a darlingotnia from Pyro, and it died... Prolly kuz the shipping. I'm not scared to try again tho. I just need some cash, and Cook's carnivores! Hehehe...

This paycheck is taken up by a pair of jeans, I think...
I worked thirty hours for 6.85 an hour... That is like, two hundred something dollars, but taxes it will be around one sixty, or seventy, I dont know, this is my first paycheck... 140 dollar jeans with 15% tax, that will be 161 dollars. I hope that taxes arent that bad... :s

yea, but anyways, I really like thos darlings everyone! they are so nice! :biggrin:

my darlngtonia is sending up flower stalks, so ill have seeds soon

Mine died because it didn't have a root system on it even though there were 5-6 pitchers on the plant. :confused:

Great pics, unknownclown and arie!!!
smile.gif

I love these things!  But alas, I have bought one from Lowe's (I know, i know...) and it's not doing too well.  It came in one of those little terrarium things, but all the instructions I've heard says it will get big and that it's root system needs to be flushed everyday with cool or cold water.  So I gently removed it (the entire mix) and put it into a pot that would allow water to drain out o fit.  It had a pretty new shoot on it... but hours after being in the pot, the new shoot wilted and hasn't gotten any better.  I assume it's from humidity differences, but I have no way to produce that kind of an environment in this pot.  So is this a temporary effect until it "gets used" to the current environment or what?  I've heard that they don't require very high humidity, just cool root systems... any body got any ideas?

Thanks!

Remove the bottom of a two litre pop bottle (you can use smaller if you WANT...) and put it over the plant as a humidome... It comes with its own adjustment valve aswell!

Donnie,
about the sad cobra, I got a cobra last year and it didn't do anything all season, just little sad leaves. I stuck with it though and this year it's looking great. I think it just needed to adjust to it's new pot, environment and carer!
probably a good idea to put on the pop bottle though, and let it adjust to the new humidity conditions gradually

Good luck

Oh thanks everyone! What a neat idea! I never even thought of that... I'll give it a try and see what happens. This is the most fascinating plant I have. I love my VFT (which I rescued from WalMart last year...) and I also have a small Nep that I'M still getting used to, but the Cobra is my favorite.

Donnie,

First off I would like to welcome you the discussion forums.

The same thing had happened to me. It had a great big pitcher within the conntainer. Then lifting up the lid and within 15 minutes the pitcher wilted. It's so sad to see that happened.

Hi Donnie

Welcome! You need to get a sundew...you might have a new favorite.
wink.gif

Suzanne

I REALLY suck at growing darlingtonia. Every one I've ever had died within a month.
sad.gif

Ugh!!!! My rabbits chewed off the "heads" of that bottom cobra pic I posted
sad.gif

Arg! That happened to me too! Look at this wild bunny - it's a cute, innocent- looking descendent of the bunny that did it.

bunny.jpg

Back