What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HELP!

My pitcher plants feel like paper! They have plenty of water, and I thought they had plenty of humidity, but one of the pitchers is starting to turn brown and the other two are paper thin! Help me!! What can I do to make them better? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

How much sun they gettin'? Toom uch will burn em..i noe it mite sound wierd sarra's getting too much sun but..thats what happened to me

Hi,
What pitcher plant is it, how old are the leaves and what other growing conditions have got?

I bought this plant at Lowe's about 2 weeks ago. It came in a terrarium with a VFT and Sundew. I've watered it with distilled water (misting of course). I don't place it in full sun, the plant is inside on a small table next to the window which is in front of my porch. The only time the sun shines directly in this direction is in the afternoon. The window has a sheer curtain on it, so even when the sun hits this way the full sun doesn't hit that plant (or the other non-cps that I have there). I don't know what else to do. Should I separate the plants? Give more humidity? If so, how? Is it possible it's over watered?
confused.gif
I'm sorry for so many questions, but I'm so worried because one day it was fine and the next it's like it is now. Thanks again for the help!

Hi,
Did I reead right you live in South Carolina?If so your plants need direct sun and the climate they live in is exactly where you are. I would grow them out side giving them some shelter from the wind and your plants will grow for you. Dying back is normal for a plant that is not happy with its conditions

clemsonrola,
Mike King is right, your terrarium should do fine outside. You don't want a cover on it outside either.

The problem could be that the plants are not acclimated. Plants from nurseries and places like Lowe's have been in a much more controlled and milder environment. The change in conditions can result in the symptoms you see. I suggest you cover them with a baggie or something to give them the highest humidity possible and then slowly expose them to normal air by cutting progressivly larger holes in the corners.

Pyro

The basic problem is that Clemsonrola's plants are not getting enough light and where he/she lives is the range of the VFT and the pitcher plant lives naturally. I would grow all my plants outside if I lived where the plants grow naturally with the addition of some kind of shelter from wind etc. CPs like VFT, Sarracenia like full light especially Sundews.

Thanks again for all your help! I've put the plant outside and two of the 3 pitchers seem to be doing a bit better. We're in the middle of a drought in the upstate right now. The only reason I didn't place it outside is because humidity has been in the 40's and the temps have been in the 90's so I didn't think that would be good for the plants.

Back