What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

G.violacea cuttings

Colieo

Staff member
Hey,
It took about a month or two, but my g.violacea cuttings have sprouted. I always heard they were a bit more difficult to take than others (has anyone else heard this?), but the only difference between the violacea and the violacea X lobata is that the V x L didnt take as long to sprout. Genliseas are amazing little CPs.

Cole

I really love Genlisea. I do wonder about that hybrid though. I have heard others say they doubt that it really is a hybrid. Are the flowers also identical to violacaea?

The flowers (at least the pics I have seen) have traits from both parents. Their shape is more violacea but their colour is very much lobata. I feel confident that this is really a hybrid.

If it is a hybrid, I wonder what clone of G. violacea is the parent. It looks a lot like the G. "violacea giant" which may actually be a new unnamed species. The true G. violacea that I have is a tiny and slow growing plant. It doesn't seem as if U. lobata is a breeze to grow either. So is it just a case of hybrid vigour?

The puported U. livida x praelonga hybrid that is going around is unlikely to be for real either. U. alpina x endresii apparently is the real thing (it is certainly different than the clone of U. alpina that I have), but I have not seen it flower.

I think that on the BestCP site it says the parent is violacea 'giant' so that may acount for some of it but I think that the hybrid vigor is a factor too.

As for lobata, some of the research I have done indicates that it might be best to give it a period of slightly drier conditions, keeping the media only damp enough to provent the plant from desicating. It also seems to prefer LFS as a media and prefers to not be on the tray in my experience.

I grow my violacea X lobata in LFS and I let it dry out between waterings. It is sending up a flower scape now, & so is my Violacea 'Giant', so I will comare the two Tamlin and maybe take a pic to see what you all think. My V x L came from Best Cp *(moderator; delete the name if it shouldnt be there)*

Cole

Back