What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking of getting an orchid

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
I saw an orchid on sale at Lowes a few days ago. I am thinking of getting it. Could you guys tell me how to grow one? Anything will be appreciated, thanks.

Wesley you couldn't be too much more vague by saying "an orchid", there are only about 30,000 orchid species and god knows how many hundreds of thousands of hybrids...
wink.gif

But taking into account that you don't know what kind of orchid you saw, and the fact that you aren't going to find anything too bizzare at Lowes/Home depot/Target I can assume what you saw was one of these:
Phalenopsis
Dendrobium
Paphiopedilum
Odontoglossum
Oncidium
Encyclia
Vanda

type in any of these names in Googles Image search and then tell us which one genus you saw. Look for images that show you the whole plant so you can see it's growth habit, canes, above ground bulbs, one stalk, arching "grassy" sprays of leaves, etc.

The above are the "easy" orchids (they still require Nepenthes style care for optimal growth). Some orchids will survive on Neglect but for repeat/continuous blooming/rapid growth you do have to give them all the pampering of pure water, fertilizing lightly and often, rapidly draining soil, high humidity, etc. Each genus of Orchids has it's particular care.

After you know what Genus of orchid you saw check out Georges article on Orchid cultivation. He details all the types you are most likely going to encounter in standard retail outlets.

hope that helps some!
smile.gif

Hi Wesley

Good for you! Go get that orchid.
smile.gif
Most of the ones sold at Lowes fall into the "easy" category. Well adapted to simple home growing. They usually carry mostly dendrobiums and phalaenopsis though I have seen a few other things there.

Once you pick out an orchid, just place a post and tell us what you got. Then everyone can offer more specific care tips.

Happy orchid hunting.
smile.gif

Suzanne

I got it the day before yesterday. It is a Phalenopsis. Any info will be appreciated.
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
wink.gif
confused.gif
wow.gif
rolleyes.gif
alien.gif
wow.gif

Hi Wesley

Good for you! You got it.
smile.gif
It would probably be helpful for you to read the "Orchid Care" topic that is pinned at the top of the forum (generously provided by George-CP). That offers general care for most of the commonly found orchids including Phals.

After you read that over, if you have any questions, feel free to come back and ask.

I can tell you phals don't like "wet feet". I have seen phals sold with their pots PACKED tightly with LFS moss which remained wet and soggy in the pots and the roots rotted and the leaves shriveled. I got a few of these given to me for rescues.

Take a look at George's care info and see if that answers most of your questions.

Is it in bloom now? If so, why don't you post a pic if you can?

Congratulations!

Suzanne

I always see Epidendrum at home depot as well, swords... I think that the flowers sort of look like phlox, from far away... Not the most exciting.

I've seen Miltonopsis at a local nursery as well, but I don't think it was from a very commercial supplier...

Back