What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daphnia

i had ordered a instant daphnia culture kit from carolina.com,does anyone know anything about care and maintaining a live culture?

smile.gif

Oohhhh, that kit is cool! I've got some daphnia that hitchhiked in some u.gibba that someone traded to me. (and if anyone got u.gibba from me you should have some as well) They're co-existing happily, I'm not feeding them or anything. There's a good article on care here

P.S. Sea Monkeys (brine shrimp) are also fun to raise!

Can you keep sea monkeys alive or do they just live then die? Do they uh... procreate?

ya i got some u gibba and its growing really well,but i worry about algae.so thats why i got the daphnia kit.is it real easy to grow daphnia?.

daphnia are incredibly easy to keep (you will find them in almost every duck pond in the world, along with lakes, rivers and even rain barrels)... and if you have algae they should be content with that. If you have a heavy algae infestation they may not be enough though. You have nothing to loose by trying.

"Sea monkeys" (brine shrimp) are salt water creatures. Yes, you can keep them alive, no (generally speaking) this is not easy, and almost impossible in a home environment, especially to breeding age. A lucky few people do manage though so they are definately also worth a try.

freindly correction:
brine shrimp and "sea monkeys" are complete different creatures. (sea monkeys are a hybrid brine shrimp, so I guess not "a completly diff. creature" I've grown both and bred them very easily in the home environment.
smile.gif

daphina (water fleas(they're not really parasites) sometimes just "pop" up in some of my trays, but I don't know how
confused.gif

I even find them in ditches and puddles!
wow.gif

Step one, place eggs in container
Step two, shake up bottle of pure water
Step three poor on eggs

Tada! Oh and they like sunlight.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Spectabilis73 @ Dec. 09 2002,08:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">freindly correction:
brine shrimp and "sea monkeys" are complete different creatures. (sea monkeys are a hybrid brine shrimp, so I guess not "a completly diff. creature" I've grown both and bred them very easily in the home environment.
smile.gif

daphina (water fleas(they're not really parasites) sometimes just "pop" up in some of my trays, but I don't know how
confused.gif

I even find them in ditches and puddles!
wow.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Wow, is this my area or what! They pop up all over because the wind carries their eggs (cyst) seeing as these little guys can live 10+ years as a cyst all they need is high O2 water like a fresh rain and they are ready to go! But if you want to know the group that truely takes all, check out the stats on the Triops. These deadly preditors have been recorded staying in cyst form for 70 years! now that is a surviver!

-Darcie

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Maehem @ Dec. 09 2002,07:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">daphnia are incredibly easy to keep (you will find them in almost every duck pond in the world, along with lakes, rivers and even rain barrels)... and if you have algae they should be content with that. If you have a heavy algae infestation they may not be enough though. You have nothing to loose by trying.

"Sea monkeys" (brine shrimp) are salt water creatures. Yes, you can keep them alive, no (generally speaking) this is not easy, and almost impossible in a home environment, especially to breeding age. A lucky few people do manage though so they are definately also worth a try.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Sea Monkies are just fine in captivity
mad.gif
, it's when people treat them like brine shrimp that they die. These little guys started out as hybreds of various fairy and brine shrip and have been selectively bred into their own true breeding creature. The problem most people run into with them is overfeeding or poor water balance. You really sort of have to work at it to kill them, yet people seem plenty good at tossing the directions. Your culture will run a long time if you take care of it, but not long if you do not. Unfortunetly, Sea Monkies need Brackish water and water flea need fresh so the two don't mix
tounge.gif

I recomend getting a Triops kit, granted they eat daphnia, but they are much cooler then Sea Monkies
tounge.gif

I agree...triops are way cooler than sea monkeys...but I wouldn't even think of feeding one to my plants!(they're too big to feed to my plants anyway!
tounge.gif
) My triops bred like rabbits! I was having so many that I moved them to a heated 1 gallon aquarium!
wow.gif

I have to ask... Darcie I have been reading several of your replies on several topics and I have one question. Do you READ the previous posts?

Spectabilis73 you are right, I stand corrected. I am guilty of commiting one of my own pet peeves. Using a brandname as a slang term. As you pointed out "sea monkeys" are Artemia NYOS a hybrid. Those sold as "sea monkey" like creatures (using names that at the very least border on copyright infringement) are usually Artemia franciscana, or the more commonly sold in petstores as fish food, Artemia salinas. Yet another case of "buyer beware".

Back