What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Native Plants

I was just thinking. Having examples of plants that normilly inhabit my state would be pritty neet. Does anyone here know what speciese are native to MI? I know we have a Pitcher, a Butterwart, a Sundew and I'm pritty sure we have Blatterwarts too, but I'm not ready for aquatics yet. Thanks
smile.gif

Sweet, someone else lives in Michigan.
biggrin.gif
I know the S. purplera (spelling is wrong - if I can not pronounce it how do you expect me to spell it? Plus I do not have a book in front of me) lives in Michigan besides that
confused.gif
IDK.

travis

yes, S. purpurea lives there, along with Drosera rotundifolia, D. linearis (I'd love to someday see a D. linearis, somewhere, but...), D. intermedia, Pinguicula vulgaris... there's a few more also.

cool. I'll look and print info on them. Thanks. That sure is a lot, I'd say I was lucky if the local habitat hadn't been destroid when I was still little
sad.gif
Evil bad collecters.

i am also from michigan and i was wondering if anyone knew if any of these plants still existed in michigan in their wild habitats.

One other thing, does anyone know where i could get ahold of some of theses plants?

thanks
ktulu

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ktulu @ Sep. 21 2002,05:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i am also from michigan and i was wondering if anyone knew if any of these plants still existed in michigan in their wild habitats.  

One other thing, does anyone know where i could get ahold of some of theses plants?

thanks
ktulu[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
As of 10 years ago they did, but don't expect to take one or even fined one for that matter. I found out from my mom that my school owns an area that many used to live in. I'm going to talk to our botiney people today or tomarrow to fined out if any are still their. If so I'll take pictures
smile.gif
As for fineding the plants, put their names in a serch engin, if your lucky you'll fined a site that sells them. If nothing else, I think our pitcher is on the market

I would think finding them would be pretty easy, especially in the UP.  I'm from WI and they are literally all over the place in the northern 1/3 of the state.  It's just that you really don't see them until you're right on top of them, except when S. purpurea is blooming, then you can usually see it from a ways a way.  Just look for some bogs and you'll probably find CP's.  If you see a lake and there are some tamaracks growing along the shore, most likely you'll find CP's there as well.

I've also found sundews growing in muddy sand and directly on fallen trees along the shorelines of soft-water lakes. You just have to open your eyes and know where to look. They're out there.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sarracenia @ Sep. 23 2002,2:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I would think finding them would be pretty easy, especially in the UP.  I'm from WI and they are literally all over the place in the northern 1/3 of the state.  It's just that you really don't see them until you're right on top of them, except when S. purpurea is blooming, then you can usually see it from a ways a way.  Just look for some bogs and you'll probably find CP's.  If you see a lake and there are some tamaracks growing along the shore, most likely you'll find CP's there as well.

I've also found sundews growing in muddy sand and directly on fallen trees along the shorelines of soft-water lakes.  You just have to open your eyes and know where to look.  They're out there.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Yah, up north isn't nearly as destroyed as it is down here but I have in fact been directed to a location wich holds many a plant so I'll be looking their.
smile.gif
I think they might be recovering from the plant raids a while back
smile.gif

I live in the southwern part of the lower peninsula(sp?) so i doubt i will see any in there natural habitat around here. I guess i will have to do some traveling someday to see some in there natural habitat.

Thanks for the info
Ktulu

Back