What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charcoal at for drainage

hey i need some drainage...right now i have perlite, peat moss, long fibred spahgum moss and charcoal...
is charcoal ok to put at the bottom of the pot?
if not what should i use?

also i was wondering...can you grow cps in chacoal?its safe right cuz it wont have root rot

I put perlite at the bottom of mine. I don't know about charcoal, but when in doubt...don't.

charcoal is not used for cps much , mostly only with nepenthes alothugh it can be found in the natural habitats of other cp's too . the bad thing about charcoal is that it can collect salts and minerals and it can sometimes stunt plant so its your choice but it keeps the soil from stinmin if you have to much water and use only horticulture chrcoal not the bbq biquettes unless you want cp roast . i prefer orchid bark as a bottom drainer .

thx,

can i use bits of cut up orchid bark from my orchids i grow? (the ones that are trimmed off)

Back