What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

live moss,

i see plants packed sphagnum moss, dont know if its live or not, but, i would like to know where to obtain this moss, and the live moss i see growing on top of the soil with the plants, i think it looks so kewl, the bright green living moss and the plant growing out of it
smile.gif
thanks for any help i can get on this.

ccrider

The long fiber sphagnum moss that you see in stores is dried and non-living. You can find it at various garden centers and hardware stores. There are several places online that sell long fiber sphagnum moss as well. You can order live moss, but it is more expensive than the dried.

If you have the time, you can get the dried moss to grow. It has dormant spores that will begin to grow after a month or two.

Nick

kewl nick! maybe the moss around the plants will come back then
smile.gif
the moss i seen on top of soils is short and green, know where i can find that? also, if any of the moderators here, or anyone at petflytrap has or know any one with it for sale, please let me know, i will buy it
smile.gif
and, where can i get info on growing it too? thanks again nick.
biggrin.gif

ccrider

The short green moss I find particularly attractive too. It usually will jump up in pots with CP's in them that are gorwn in a greenhouse, mostly comes on peaty soils. I wouldn't stress on gorwing info, just the care that you have your CP in.

hmm, so the bags of peat moss im getting, it could sprout out from that then? im just wanting to find a way to get the earth around them more natural, im gonna be starting my 125 gal tank soon!
smile.gif
) gonna have an internal digital humidifier
smile.gif
custom lighting from when the tank was a reef tank, im even thinking about putting in a section in the center that looks like a creek running through it, the land will be sloped on both ends, but im wanting coverage, thats where the moss comes in, i figure the artificial creek wil help keep the peat moist, thanks for the info.
smile.gif

ccrider

Back