What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing in pots in a terrarium

M

memento

Hello folks,

First of all, I'd like to say it's a real pleasure to see your photos.
I successfully started from seed a dionaea in a pot, I would like now to start a terrarium in a tank for other CPs.
From what I learned learning this forum and others, letting the CPs in their pots, it is lot more easy, and allows mixing of plants wo need a dormancy and others.

What do you advise to use as soil in the tank ? Do I have to take the same soil (peat, sphagnum) as if there were plants on it, or anything is OK ?

About the watering:  since pots are half buried, do I have to water plants from top, or overall humidity is enough ?

Thanks.

Hi memento!  Welcome to the forums!
biggrin.gif

I took the easy way out with my terrarium and used LFS in the bottom and to hide the pots my plants are in.  As a bonus, some of the moss has started growing so there will eventually be a carpet of green sphagnum moss.  I have the terrarium mainly for humidity for some of my dews so the LFS works fine for me.  The soil in the pots is the standard 1:1 mix of peat:perlite.

For watering, i use a small watering can and water from the top.  I have not had any trouble with the tops rotting on any of my plants doing this but some people have.  You can use a turkey baster to reach plants in tight spots or if you want to avoid washing dew off any sundews you may have.  The only problem I have had with the baster method is the darn things tend to dribble water no matter how careful I was.
sad.gif

Hi memento, welcome.

You can use any of or a mix of any of the usual cp mediums.

I wouldn't use regular potting soil or compost since the minerals and nutrients will eventually leach into the cp pots.

There is another option... Don't use any soil in the terrarium. Just place the pots inside and use it as a large tray. When I used terrariums this was my strategy

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Pyro @ Feb. 13 2003,1:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There is another option... Don't use any soil in the terrarium. Just place the pots inside and use it as a large tray. When I used terrariums this was my strategy[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hehe, that's how my tanks setup. I just put water in the bottom and placed the pots in that. They're doing pretty good, just gotta change the water every so often if it doesn't evaporate or get soaked up.

Thank you all for your replies and for your welcome.

I don't want to let the pots on a tray, it looks sad when plants are young
smile.gif
I will use peat and sand, with pebbles under.

BigCarnivourKid , what do you mean by LFS ? I'm quite new here, I don't know every acronym, despite my hard Google search (i don't think it's a live food supply, is it ?).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (memento @ Feb. 13 2003,2:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BigCarnivourKid , what do you mean by LFS ? I'm quite new here, I don't know every acronym, despite my hard Google search (i don't think it's a live food supply, is it ?).[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hehe, I did the same thing when I first saw that. LFS=Long Fibered Sphagnum.
wink.gif

LFS-Long fiber spaghnum moss. If use this or similar moss instead of peat it will be easier to move pots around and still look good.

joe

Back