What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What can i use for drainage?

how do u set a terrarium? it is 18" high.
so far i am thinking of
2" of gravel or perlite (for drainage)
3/4"-1" of charcoal (refresh the air)
2" of sphagnum moss (to filter the water)
1" of peat mix with perlite
and 1" of sphagnum moss (so that i'll have live sphagnum moss growing on the surface)

let me know how u set up your terrarium, k? thnx,
Jason
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

well first off i would'nt recomend the terrarium idea you have, you cant have that many plants. Plants with requirements for soggier soils wont beable to go, say if you have a mexican ping, ect. but if you have a terrarium without soil, you could have a lot more. But if you choose to have that idea of yours, we'll need to know what type of plants your planning on adding to the terrarium,
Kevin

I agree you need to think carefully what plants you will include. If your going to use plants that need a winter dormancy it is more complicated. Most people will keep them in individual pots and bury them if your looking for a more natural terrarium. It makes it easier to remove plants later if they need a dormancy or some such thing. If your just going to grow tropical things then a nice thick bed of peatmoss or peat with sphagnum on top or some such mix with maybe a bit of sand in the peat, would be fine for most terrarium candidates.. Drosera, Pings, Ceph etc. Don't personally think you need all that layered stuff.
Tony

Back