What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Covering

• Thread starter Sundewd
  • Start date
Ok, I just got a 20gl long today (yipee&#33
wink.gif
, and i was wondering what kind of cover i sould get. A glass or plexiglass cover.
I know that plexi glass will get warped with the heat from the tubes, but i was wondering how long that takes.
I have heard glass is a good cover, but is more dangerous than plexi glass.
Also, i would like to know an estimate on how much each cost per square foot and such...
Thanks in advance!!!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sundewd @ Mar. 03 2003,9:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I know that plexi glass will get warped with the heat from the tubes, but i was wondering how long that takes. I have heard glass is a good cover, but is more dangerous than plexi glass.
    Also, i would like to know an estimate on how much each cost per square foot and such...
Thanks in advance!!![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
That's it in a nut shell. Plexiglass is also much easier to scratch. As far as cost goes... shop around. Check Lowes, Home Depot, Ace, pet stores, whatever you have in your area.

Just buy glass and be careful. The plex does not warp only from the heat of the lamp it is also from the stress of gravity.
biggrin.gif

I'm using plastic covers from Lowes. They are cut to size at the store and meant to be used as windows in strom doors. They are all bowing from gravity not heat. I have to flip them so they can bow back in the other direction about once a week.

These are not plexiglass but I think the same problem may occur with plexiglass as well.

From now on, I will be using glass.

I am using the same plastic that Glenn is using. It warps within about a week. I have added thin supports over the top of my 10 gallon tanks. This helps.

About 6 years ago I bought some scrap plastic sheeting from a local hardware store. Its about 1 mm thicker than the stuff from Lowes or Home Depot. It has never warped and athought scratched, seems to still fuction well and has not colored other than some rust from a can.

I would prefer glass, but it can be heavy and you will need to smooth out the edges or put a tape around them to prevent cuts and scratched to various body parts. I bought some single thickness glass for temporary covering and I did not protect myself by covering the edges. It does hurt when you pock the corner into your chest. I would recommend double strength glass or better for covering. You can also use two smaller pieces to help keep the weight of each piece down and this will also allow some movement for controlled ventilation.

Hope that helps.

I use glass tops designed for aquariums. They are simply two glass pieces connected together. They come in a variety of sizes according to the different aquarium tanks. Check out your local fish/pet store for them. They look great and will hold up nicely.

I just use saran wrap. You have to change it wvery few months before it tears and disetnegrates, but it's cheap.

Regards,

Joe

Any Glass shop is more than willing to cut and sand custom sized peices of glass for aquariums, you just have to tell them you need the edges to be safe for handling.
wink.gif

I don't know about plexiglas, but I have broken 2 glass covers. The first time was when I sat on the cover, which was placed on a chair. I didn't even notice it until it was too late(doh)...The second time was when I place it on some steps. When I walked outside(at night), I stepped on it.
Now, I use saran warp.

Sound to me like someone was being careless CP2K.
Glass definately requires a little extra forethought.
wink.gif

I use thick plexy on my aquarium. It needs to support two set of dual lights. It has warped a little, but not much due to the fact that it is thick. I have not decided what I will use on my cps.

Back