What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking into killifish

Hello,
I've always wanted to grow killifish, and by now it's too hard NOT to have one
wink.gif
. Where can I get some beginner killifish? I think I've been to the society page before
confused.gif
, but they said nothing on where to get them , or how to grow them
tounge.gif
. Could you help me?
Thanks,
Spec73

Hi Spec,

Killies are great and many are not difficult at all. They need, for the most part, the same soft acid RO water cp's do and like temperatures between 68-75F. They do not need large tanks. They do best in a single species tank. They love lots of live plants. Many species will simply lay eggs and let the fry grow up all around them. Some, like the annual soil spawning species -- my favorites -- lay their eggs in peat moss which must be taken out of the tank, stored away in a moist state and then put in water after several months for the developed eggs to hatch. Killies can be small -- under an inch -- or fairly large -- 6 inches. Most are gorgeously colored and all are fascinating to breed.
For information, start by checking the American Killifish Association's webpage <www.aka.org>. There is a link there to an online complete "beginner's guide" that is excellent and last month's "fish and egg listings" that shows species members have to sell and trade. Also, look at the "Affiliate Clubs" link and check out the BAKA -- Bay Area Killifish Association. You are in the Bay Area right, Spec? Well, there is a great local killifish club in your area then full of people who raise great fish. They have monthly meetings and there is a fish auction at each meeting. Members are also good about getting newbies started with some easy to keep and breed fish like Fundulopanchax gardneri, Aphyosemion australe (chocolate), Aphyosemion striatum, Simpsonichthys (Nematolebias) whitei, Nothobranchius foerschi, etc.... I know several people in the club and if you ever get a chance to go and let me know I will give them a heads up you are coming. Every April, the BAKA hosts a big killifish show, auction and convention in the Bay Area. It was suppose to be great this year. The show results are on the BAKA webpage. They bring in speakers on killifish from around the world and all kinds of new species.
In addition, check out the Northwest Killies club. It covers Northern Calif., Oregon, and Washington. They have great members too -- some have fishrooms of 400 tanks all devoted to killies.
You can join the AKA from the webpage if you want to. They have a good magazine and a great fish and egg listings. If you like killies you live in a great area for them. There are many fine breeders all around you.
Other good sites are: <http://thearkfoundation.org/SAA/public/index.html>> for information on South Ameircan annual killifish.

<http://home10.inet.tele.dk/kdinesen/index.html> for information on a neat group of killies once called "Roloffias".

<http://users.pandora.be/marc.bellemans/index.htm> for great detailed information on East African killies called Nothobranchius.

And <http://www.killifish.f9.co.uk/Killifish/Killifish Website/Index.htm> for lots of information on all West African killies.

All these sites are full of great pictures.

I am setting up some annuals to breed today so in a few months I may have some you can have.
tounge.gif

Bobby
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the help! Yes, I'm in the bay area, When is the next meeting? I'd LOVE to go!
biggrin.gif

Oh, and how do you pronounce the latin names? I only know the latin names of cps, and I don't want to look like a major newbie at the next meeting...
rolleyes.gif

-Spec

Just checked out the BAKA page, when and were is the next meeting? They havent updated it for a while
wink.gif

This is where the last meeting was: (Was hoping I wouldn't have to drive so far lol)
http://www.mapquest.com/maps....Get+Map
Zoom out to zoom level 4
You can see I'm far away from there... But it' scloser to me than the bacps meetings...
rolleyes.gif
tounge.gif
wow.gif

Hi Spec,

Looks like you just missed the last meeting. The next meeting should be the third Saturday in June. They appear to always be at the same place -- The Castro Valley Round Table. You can email Huntley Wright. His email is on the webpage for more information. He is very helpful. Just tell him Bobby Ellermann sent you.

This is what the BAKA site said:

<<<BAKA meets on the third Saturday of every month.
Sign-in and socializing at 6 PM. Meeting at 6:30 PM.

Where:

Castro Valley Round Table

20920 Redwood Rd. in Castro Valley

TIME: 6PM, Saturday, May 17, 2003.

Keep me posted. The best book to get to learn fish latin names is by William T. Innes and it is called EXOTIC AQUARIUM FISHES. Get an edition printed by Innes from 1935 to 1956. The site <abebooks.com> should list 100's of used copies. It is a great book and Innes provides pronunciation keys for all the species listed.

My way is like this:

Aphyosemion is: A-phee-oh-see-mee-on with the stress on the "A". (i think)

Nothobranchius is: No-tho-bran-chee-us with the stress the "No".(I think)

Simpsonichthys is: Simp-son-ich-theeys with the stress on "Simp".(I think)

etc....

Most of the species names are for various people who discovered the fish so ferret out the original name itself and add an "i" sound to the end for "i" masculine endings and an long "a" sound for "ae" feminine endings.

foerschi is foersch-eye
trevawasae is tre-va-was-(long)a

Bobby

Back