What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can anyone help id this?

I need to try to work out what this Nep is.  I've got an idea, but I'm not sure.  All I know for sure is:

1)  It's a species and not a hybrid.
2)  It's from Sumatra
3)  It's highland or at least intermediate.

Any ideas anyone? No prizes this time.

Thanks!

Rob

N_sp_1_Sumatra.jpg

I will preface by saying I am not much of a Nep expert but it kind of looks like an alata to me.

N. lavicola?  
confused.gif
 Where the heck do you get these plants Rob!  
tounge.gif

I already replied to the listserve on this, but my guess was a variant of N. eustachya. N. eustachya used to be referred to as the Sumatran form of alata, and as Pyro pointed out, the lid looks very alata-like. The wings look a little more prominent than any pictures I have seen of eustachya.
Very interesting, Rob
smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

The plant pictured looks alot like the N angasanensis plant in Neps of Sumatra. I don't think that it's a variety of N eustachya since N eustachya pitchers never have wings.

I say it's N angasanensis!!
smile.gif

Jœl

Joel,

I can see what you are saying. My Clarke is buried somewhere(besides I'm at work) since we just moved. What is throwing me off is the coloration, since the species you mentioned is either dark red to almost black in the pics I have seen. Obviously if Rob's plant is not in bright light, that could explain that.
I know N. eustachya does not have wings like that, which is why I was pondering if it was a new form. BTW, I am not trying to hotly defend my guess, just trying to carry on the debate. I like this kind of discussion.

Regards,

Joe

Looks like N. angasanensis to me.

Rob, do you have any location data for this plant? I assume not, since I figure you would have mentioned it, but thought I'd ask to be sure.

My first thought was an unusual colored N.longifolia, but I think its N.angasanensis.

Chris

Seems to fit in with the description of N. angasanensis from what I can see.
Tony

Hey, Thank you all for the answeres to I bought the exact same plant from English Gardens and have been trying to find out what kind it was. Only mine is a little younger then Borneo plant and all it said on the tab it came with was Nepenthes. Thanks alot at least now I know what plant I have.
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
Plus I think it is a N. lavicola because an N. lavicola has torns on it's lid and a N.longifolia doesn't so doesn't a N. angasanensis I think it's a N.lavicola the shape and the lid type on the pitcher.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Whats English Gardens?

No offense or anything but it is highly doubtful you obtained N. lavicola, N. longifolia, or N. angasanensis from a garden center.

Most likely what you have is N. x Ventrata or perhaps N. alata

Perhaps if you can post a picture in a new thread we can help identify your plant. Even then it is sometimes impossible to be certain when identifying an unlabelled plant from a nursery.
Tony

I will take some pictures of the unknown nepenthes put can someone tell me how to put on pictures onto pft please. If you can tell me I can have them on during this week or in the next week. English Gardens is a place that sells cp's tropical plants Nepenthes sarr's, sundews and someother cp's. They sell nepenthes there for 7-10 dollars, and vfts for like 4.99. Can anyone tell me how to put pic's onto pft.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
confused.gif
biggrin.gif

look up at the top of the web page where it say's there is a chat room click on that and on that page there is also a place to click on to a web page to download pictures to then you can place pictures onto a topic by clicking image and typing in the http:// that it gives ya

Hi,

I first thought eustachya, but as been suggested the wings differ and from what I've read it is a lowland species too.

I have to agree that it looks very much like a N. angasanensis, the pitcher mouth is rather narrow though in my eyes. I don't know much about nepenthes, but I would be interested to know the width of the leaves (more than 25 mm?). It might be the photo angle but the leaves look wider than that.

Regards,

Christer

Wow!  Thank you very much for your opinions guys!  
smile.gif
  The plant shown was grown from seeds that were collected in Sumatra (not by me).  Further information which is unreliable is that it came from Mount Bandahara (doubtful) and the guy who collected the seeds thought it was N. densiflora.  Hmmm.

Here is another photo which may be more useful since it shows more of the leaf structure and attachment.

Like many of you, I am relying on Charles Clarke's book which only has a single photograph of most species.  I guess what I'm really hoping for is someone to say "yes, I have a plant exactly like that and I got it as N. blah-blah from so-and-so.  Bit of a long shot I guess  
tounge.gif
 but all ideas are welcome anyway!

N_sp_1_Sumatra2.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Borneo @ Feb. 18 2003,11:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">1) It's a species and not a hybrid.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hi Rob,

how do you know this - taking into account the informations you got with these seeds?

Joachim

Aha!  Good question Joachim
biggrin.gif

Seeds were collected from several plants in the area (whatever area it was).  That much I am sure of from the sheer quantity of seed I received.  We put 24 seeds into tissue culture which have been multiplied up and we planted out the remainder of the seeds.  All the resulting plants are nearly identical in appearance which would be strange for a hybrid if seeds are collected from several parent plants.

That's all I know really.  It is possible that we will never identify this plant.  I have another similar problem with another Sumatran Nepenthes that is rather stranger in appearance.  I'll post photos of that one soon.

Rob

Rob,

with looking threw some pictures the pitcher of the plant fits a couple plants but when it comes down to the leaf it doesn't fit any of them. most of the plants i was looking threw all had pointed leaves where the plant you posted has a rounded leaf end. so my guess is as good as yours.

Not what I would expect for N. angasanensis.  So now I am really puzzled.  Even more puzzling that the person thought it was N. densiflora.

This may be way out in left field but I look at the pictures and I am tempted to say N. tobiaca x N. sumatrana. It is possible for a primary hybrid to be fairly uniform. However I would also think that seed collected from the wild would be composed of a mix of species/hybrid since flowers would most likely be pollinated by several sources.

Tony

Hmm,

comparing the leafes on the second picture with the description of Salmon and Maulder in CPN 28/1999 I'm afraid I do have to agree with George and Tony. The leafes don't match the description of N. anagasanensis at all.

It might be interesting to compare this plant with the only known hybrid of N. anagasanensis with N. densiflora. Sadly I didn't see a picture of this hybrid or even complex offsprings of such an hybrid up to now.

Joachim

Back