What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Falconry

Hello,
I am getting into falconry, and I am just wondering if anyone else is a falconer or getting into falconry.
cool.gif
blues.gif
laugh.gif

That would be me spec. What bird are you planning to use?

woohoo! now i know there is someone who shares another of my passions! Do you have any birds yet? I am going to start with either a harris hawk, a red tailed hawk, maybe even a kestrel, not sure though. Then I'll work my way up to a peregrine and a gyrfalcon, my dream would be a golden eagle, but thats never gonna happen
blues.gif

I perfer the red tail hawk also, but the harris hawk is very fast =D.

Falconry...what a cool HOBBY.
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
hehehe

Those are some beautiful birds...they have attitude!

I have an uncle who is a falconer, he special raises birds for clients in the Middle East!!!

One of these days I'll get into that.... *sigh*

SF
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Pyro @ Oct. 27 2003,9:28)]I have an uncle who is a falconer, he special raises birds for clients in the Middle East!!!
do you know if he ships/sells in the usa? if so how much? and what species? please pm me, I'm serious about this
biggrin.gif

Sorry for my ignorance but what is exactly the sport of falconry? As in what do the birds do? Do you have them hunt ? or race?

Glad someone asked.
smile.gif
Falconry is the art of training falcons to hunt and return. The falcons work with the humans to survive and get food, lodging, etc. The falcon never really 'bonds' with you, if you mistreat it one time, the falcon will not return. That is a 100% guarantee.
ghostface.gif

The falconer does not keep the falcons and hawks as pets. just to let you know. (too many people get them because they think they are cool animals; they buy them and keep them locked up in a cage and throw meat scraps at them every once in a while (thats really happened))

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ Oct. 27 2003,6:54)]do you know if he ships/sells in the usa? if so how much? and what species? please pm me, I'm serious about this
biggrin.gif
I can find out but I am going to guess that the price might be a bit out of your range, like in the $10k+ range.

10,000 dollars plus!
wow.gif
no way
tounge.gif
I'm still interested, pm me a pricelist if you can

I have emailed him and will let you know

So whats the most expensive falcon? I have several parrots and have seen some for sale up to $30,000.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seedling @ Oct. 28 2003,2:05)]So whats the most expensive falcon? I have several parrots and have seen some for sale up to $30,000.
most expeinsive falcon is easily $10,000 USD. A golden eagle, with all of the permits and endangered species permits (to get one you have to be part of the breeding program) just the equipment and aviary owuld be easily $30,000 USD... if you could buy one, just the bird would be like $50,000... Hopefully pyros uncles hawks are no more than 2 thousand dollars
tounge.gif
wink.gif

blues.gif

laugh.gif

An almost even cooler bird than the golden eagle would be to be able to fly a california condor.
biggrin.gif

LoL, lets see the Condor try landing on your arm. Watch as you fall under their might weight =D. LoL you should try falconry with a parkeet, one that talks back to you and go after little insects. Hehe, falconry is an expensive hobby, too rich for my blood =D.

I think I'll stick to Carnivory.
wink.gif

Here rajah here rajah: *throws meal bug* *thunderous pounding from a large nepenthes plant in a pot jumping towards the meal bug*

biggrin.gif

I have heard of prize gyr falcons going for in excess of $100K in the Arab nations. But then, the Arabs are very very VERY devoted to their birds and treat them like royalty

It would be sweet to own a Goss Hawk...Go get my grouse (partridge). Just think I would not waist so many shells trying to hit one. LOL
tounge.gif
wink.gif

LOL @ NepG! Now that would be a scary sight! No one wants a 6ft hungry plant sliding(jumping??Hopping?? Groping??) after them.

SF

Back