What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guppies??

• Thread starter Guest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    nepenthes
G

Theres a thread over at the UK forum on feeding guppies to Nepenthes and I was wondering... Have any of you fed fish to your Neps? What was the result?

What a horrifying thought. I love my guppies swimming in their tank just fine.
smile.gif

I suppose if you had the stomach and the nose to tolerate the after effects of digestion it could be done. Only things unusual I have fed to Nepenthes so far are big bumblebees (not unusual but new to the Neps) and a small salmander that was found under a pot. Both were easily broken down.

Dont. Ozzy fed some guppies to his bical and bad things happened.

I wonder if it has to do with the size of the plant and pitcher? because on the UK forum they reported great results with feeding small tropical fish to Nepenthes.

WHAT!!! You feed salamanders to your neps how terrible!  
mad.gif
I love herps and did you know that amphibian populations are on the decline! We need to start saving them!

Hey, commom. cps are endangered too.
(maybe not all)

Any clue what kind of salamander it was?
If the plant had no problem with that, guppies would be cake. I can't imagine the salamander being smaller than a guppy. In nature, unlucky frogs can be caught by neps(I think Rob Cantley has a pic on his site).
I looked at the UK thread on this subject, and i was wondering if you put a betta in a huge pitcher(like the 18" truncata from FJM gardens), how long it could survive? The acidity might be a proble, but they gulp oxygen from the surface and their wastes would be absorbed by the pitcher. I was thinking about the other symbionts found in pitchers(like mosquito larvae).

Regards,

Joe

I used to find sallys all the time,now I`ve only seen one in the last year! They certainly are on the decline,and Imo.more so then neps!

Salamanders are very common up here. Personally, I don't like Salamanders under my Nepenthes pots.
wink.gif
It is a carnivorous greenhouse after all.

I'm with Dustin on this one. It freaks me out when a salamander, lizard, gecko or frog jumps out from under my nice wet pots onto my hand or foot. If they would just go find their own hiding places, I would stop looking like a dancing idiot to my neighbors!
biggrin.gif

SF

Realy? I think they are cute.

It's not like the herps will harm you and you could always send them to me.
tounge.gif

No, they can't harm you, but they sure can give you a fright, when they are unexpected!

SF

Listen buddy, I am not a reptile/herp killer. If I offended you I'm sorry I was just adding to the topic request made by Bonnie. That was just 1 Salamander, do you know how many frogs I avoid when I cut the lawn? I have alot in my area due to the fact I live across from a small marsh/swamp.

Well I wasn't exactly offended but i was horrified when i read about the salamander and the part when i said to the herp killers WAS NOT directed at you. It was to the people who has pleasure in stomping, suffocating, throwing herps and other terrible things in that nature. Which i believe is not you since you avoid the frogs on you lawn which makes me very happy to hear.
smile.gif

Hi,

I just can't get the image out of my mind of SnowyFalcon doing the "scared/freaked/surprised dance. Heheheehe

Bobby

I like frogs, salamanders, newts, etc. but its not too bad if they get eaten by a cp. I used to see some frogs around here but not for a while. We have crayfish around, though.

I am constantly amused by various growers always looking for some miracle food that will make their plants grow like giant pumpkins or something.

There are not tricks to growing great plants. The key is observation. Adjusting growing conditions to always strive for healthier plants. This means primarily Light, Moisture, Temperature, and regular feeding. You don't need to go to some exotic far off land looking for some miracle product you can simply give to your plants and they will suddenly become a forest of CP's (btw there is no such product so you can stop searching) Nepenthes don't care if it's milk, carnation instant breakfast, crickets from a can or fish steaks. As long as it is sufficient to feed the plant without killing the pitcher and is done regularly the results will be the same.

T

Back