What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Documented salvage of cypripediums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.wildorchidcompany.com/species_list.html

I wonder how they can be getting so many "documented salvage" Cypripediums to offer for sale... Strange. Is there some kind of legal loophole, or something? I was under the impression salvaged orchids (endangered species) can never be sold by a nursery in the U.S., that they had to propogate them and sell what they propagated if the endangered species act covered the plants... Apparently not. Sickening.

Hey, now that I think about it, could a mod please move this to the conservation station forum? It probably belongs in there. Sorry about that.

Here are some interesting articles written by Carson Whitlow, a well known terrestrial orchid enthusiast and grower (Cyp. Haven).  I don't agree with many of the things he says, but they come from someone with substantial experience and are worth considering.

As for the Wild Orchid Company's claim of "documented salvage", I'm bothered by the complete lack of explanation of its "salvage" practices. But, given the prices, it might be legitimate. Poachers typically try to move things quickly and generally for much less than what that company charges.

Well, I've talked to someone on another forum who knows the guy. Supposedly, it is legitimate, and they are working on tissue culturing more of them from the salvaged plants.

Moved, as requested.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back