What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. sanguinea

Are neps the same case as sundews, less light=bigger+greener
more light=smaller+redder??
I have an N. Sanguinea with a pitcher maybe 1/3 bigger than it's leaf. It's green with some red spots inside. Then I look at another pitcher, which is red (hehe, that one came with the plant when i ordered it.) and it's smaller.
smile.gif
Is the sundew fact true?

Nepenthes grown in poor light won't have very colorful traps. Neps grown in very intense light have red petioles too. However I haven't noticed a major size difference.

Actually, good light gives you a better pitcher/leaf size ratio. If you have a pitcher larger than the leaf, it should be from being in good light.

Joe

Higher humidity will encourage larger traps,thats why it`s recomended to put live sphag under a developeing pitcher.:)

Btw. I`ve been wondering are nep leafs realy leafs or petioles?
Thanks,

You mean like flytraps?

JA

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pond boy @ April 19 2004,4:21)]Btw. I`ve been wondering are nep leafs realy leafs or petioles?
                                                          Thanks,
Leaves and Petioles = same thing
smile.gif

No they arent petioles are expanded leaf bases leafs are the actual leaf.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pond boy @ April 23 2004,2:46)]No they arent petioles are expanded leaf bases leafs are the actual leaf.
uh oh... here comes tony to prove me wrong!
biggrin.gif

I'm really learning alot from him
smile.gif

What looks like a "leaf" as the average joe knows it on a Nep is technically the petiole, with the pitcher as the true leaf. A petiole is the "thingy that attatches the leaf to the tree/plant/whatever" and usually runs through the center of the leaf. (ie "main artery") I hope this makes sense in "layman's terms". (Please note all items in quotation marks were done in quotation fingers on liscensed agreement with Dr. Evil)
laugh.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
cool.gif

I`m not tony! I`m Noah(not to be confused with Noah Elhardt)

Back