What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Close up pic

Sorry bout the size but it only worked well blown up a bit..
roar.jpg

Actually took this to compare my latest N. hamata with pictures of uppers I have seen on the web. The picture turned out really nice so thought I would crop out just the peristome for viewing. I don't believe this is fully open yet but I also don't believe it is fully an upper pitcher although some aspects are.. ie tendril in the back, no fringed wings etc.

It's interesting as tooth count dropped by 10 from the previous pitcher which is roughly the same size. There are also less dark markings on the pitcher although it still shows a fair amount.
Tony

Looks like something you would see in a horor movie that close.

A bug's worst nightmare!

nice plant + pic! you have a scary hamata
wink.gif

You made me MAD!!
mad.gif

Now I want this plant more then ever.
Thanks alot.
tounge.gif

Very nice! And yes, you clearly are getting those upper
pitcher characteristics!

Wow! You should have some kind of warning for that pic.. Oh yeah, you do.
smile.gif

Amazing shot! I've tried a couple of times to get up close-ups of my hamata, and it's really hard to get all of the peristome focused at once. Most of mine had only one half of the peristome in focus. So, great work.
smile.gif

See ya,
Pat

Lets get to the part where the alien jumps out and latches on to a face
smile.gif

The sun was shining for once in the great white North! Helps with getting the depth of field and shutter speed to get a crisp shot ;> Also kinda added a neat look as it backlight some of the teeth on the right side and made some of the saliva er water drops glisten
cool.gif

Tony

(I learned after trying to get Utric pictures and having a hard time, to take the shot from a little further distance with a higher resolution on my camera. It is easier to get the whole subject in focus. Simply crop out the surround later. The cropped image is still nice and crisp after cropping if the original resolution was fine enough.)

wow.gif
Dont make me add another plant to mt tony wish list...!!!!!
wow.gif

*hamata jumps out of monitor and latches onto specs face*

<span id='ME'><center>Spectabilis73 is screaming, "AHH! GET IT OFF! GET IT OFF!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAH"</center></span>

*nasty gory bloody cockroach crunching sounds*

Hi Tony,

very nice shot! Does the pitcher lid still have hairs or are they missing?

Cheers Joachim

Man, that's a great picture! Really scary!
wow.gif

Hi Joachim,
Sorry for the delay. I could see some hairs on the lid in the photo but wasn't sure how many and how it compared to the other pitchers. I took a look in the greenhouse this morning. The hairs are gone from the front 2/3 of the lid while there are some still around the back portion where it attaches to the pitcher. New pitcher forming now looks like it will have even less (might be totally gone but would have to take a closer look)
Deffinately one of those plants that is taking it's time going from lower to upper with a number of pitchers progressing between the two.
Tony

Hi Tony,

many thanks for your reply. It'll be interesting how the upper pitchers look like. The plants in Peter d'Amato's book and the Homepage of Joachim Nerz still look strikingly different from the drawing shown in Flora Malesiana by Jebb and Cheek. I've been talking with Johannes Marabini last week and he mentioned N. dentata and N. hamata are not the same from his point of view.

Cheers Joachim

I've been talking with Johannes Marabini last week and he mentioned N. dentata and N. hamata are not the same from his point of view.
Joachim,

He thinks they are two closely related but separate species(like lowii and ephipiata)???

Regards,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ April 27 2004,10:23)]He thinks they are two closely related but separate species(like lowii and ephipiata)???
Hi Joe,

no, he thinks N. hamata might be a hybrid of N. dentata and N. tentaculata. The lower pitchers are very similar, but the peristome of the upper pitchers is quite different. So it'll be very interseting to see if the upper pitchers of Tony's plant will look like the plant Peter shows in his book or not.

Cheers Joachim

I reread the Jebb and Cheek description and it is certainly interesting. My problem with N. hamata as a hybrid between N. dentata and N. tentaculata is that the genetics don't seem right. Based on other hybrids involving one species with a very 'toothy' and ribbed peristome and one without. This trait is often obscured significantly. I believe N. dentata and hamata are synonyms and what we see is just variation in the species. This does not mean that a natural hybrid with N. tentaculata doesn't exist.
Tony

Back