What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Results of sarracenia seed giveaway

Hi I thought I'd see how all the seeds "sarracenia" (sorry, couldn't find the name) gave away in the "Sarracenia Seed Extravaganza".
Here is how my seeds did:

1. moorei green and white - F2 - O % germination
leucophylla x (alata x oreophila) - open pollinated - 20% germination
(leucophylla x moorei) x (rubra x moorei) - 100% germination

I really can't figure out the reason for the difference in germination rates.
Peter

Did you happen to notice the ages of the various seed packets? That can have an effect.

Mine were stolen
mad.gif
200 dollars worth of seed of mine were stolen!
mad.gif
mad.gif

If I remember correctly, he had just harvested them all...

Yes, they were all harvested fresh last fall. I am curious to see how everyone's did. That is a bit strange you got 0% on one, and 100% on another. I kept some of everything for myself and have had most germinate in the past few weeks. Unfortunately, the computer I have the data on is in storage, so I don't know which crosses have germinated, and which haven't. I probably won't know until August sometime, when I move to my permanent home.

I only kept semi-careful track of which seeds were sown where, so I can't be 100% sure of what I report here....But I got pretty good germination results.

I got the following germination:

#1. S. moorei "Green & White" F2 self pollinated - 1 seedling
#5. S. leuco x (alata x oreophila) open pollinated - 12 seedlings
#18. S. (leuco x moorei) x (rubra x moorei) - 6 seedlings

All are about 1 inch tall now, still indoors & under lights, growing in LFS.

I have to say, thanks again for the giveaway!!

WildBill

Back