What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tumbleweeds

smile_h_32.gif
Me, my brother, and my friend found 2 tumbleweeds, at 6 feet each. (one was 5 feet actually). We named them Brownie and Carl. They were good friends. Then my mom made us put them back on the gravel covered road by my house. I put them where we originally found them, in a gigantic ditch (couple hundred feet wide/length.
smile_h_32.gif
smile_h_32.gif
smile_h_32.gif
smile_h_32.gif

Hang on? All this strong emotion over a tumbleweed? Move out here to west Texas, they're almost pests...
smile_k_ani_32.gif
confused.gif
smilie4.gif

smile_k_ani_32.gif
hey it took a LONG time to bring them to my house, had to carry it on a stick (and a 6 foot one is heavy). they were so cool... great friends
smile_h_32.gif
smile_h_32.gif
smile_h_32.gif
smile_h_32.gif

I'm sure your 'friend' appreciates you helping it to spread seed all the way to your house.  
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Maybe next year you will have a whole crop of 'friends'!

actually there's this hill behind my house with live tumbleweed plants on it
smile_k_ani_32.gif
but its the small species. The large one (the 6 foot ones) are pretty far away.

Dont be so down. Tumbleweeds are a very common introduced species, and ...

ok i can think of anything positive to say about them. They like to sprout in lawns and...

degrade habitat and...

Wow! That sounds cool. Probably because I've never seen a tumbleweed.

o_O

I remember seeing an old horror movie about tumbleweeds... I think they ate people.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Outer Limits

Ooh! That's creepy!... Killer tumbleweeds, eh? A killer CP would be much scarier. Neps and sundews would be worse than that Little Shop of Horrors thing, though. That was just dumb, IMO. ~_~'''

Wow! six foot? that's humongous! how wide were they?

aww I hate tumbleweeds I used to get tangled in them when I was a little kid... ouch!

but if it was your friend..... lets all have a moment of silence

I'd love to have a tumbleweed. You're lucky they grow where you are. I think they are cool.

I wish I could post a pic of me next to it cuz it was so big, but my parents won't let me
smile_h_32.gif
I don't see why people don't like them- I mean I got cut and stuff by it but it was still cool. PAK- yup tumbleweeds are really cool
smile.gif

ok my parents let me post the pic.
tumbleweed1.jpg

darn, sorry I posted on my brother's s/n. this is droseradude. I'm the one in the yellow shirt, captaindrosera (my bro) is the one in the black sweatshirt, and the other guy in the blue sweatshirt is my friend.

Would someone mind telling me what are tumbleweeds?
confused.gif
Are those the things that roll across the dessert...are they living plants, or what. Heehee at first I thought you guys were talking about a snake, but, as Finch said they 'sprouted'...
biggrin.gif
how fast do they grow? Looks intruiging, although looks also like a dead mass of plant roots lol
laugh.gif
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Hey doseradude, how old are you? You look asian, if you don't mind me saying (well I already did so...)
smile_n_32.gif
cool.gif
Your nationality's american right? Practially everyone here is american...
smile_m_32.gif

except for the wee few who have to struggle for a few cps, unlike all of you who live with cps in their natural habitat (sometimes quite literally)
smile_m_32.gif
Grrrr
mad.gif
cool.gif

yeah I'm chinese american, born in utah in salt lake city
I'm 13

A tumbleweed is a plant that spreads its seeds by (after its death) rolling over the lands and its seeds are sowed as it rolls around.

Wow!
That's awesome!
Hehe... roll, baby, roll. ^_^'

I was under the impression that tumbleweed is an Asian introduced species.  I could be wrong, but that's what i heard.

Hey DroseraDude... that's where i was born, too.  Little bit before you, though.  
smile_m_32.gif

Back