What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How big?

I have a n. truncata that I have had for about a year now, and I just saw its latest pitcher...now this plant has produced some 'big' pitchers (and they are only getting bigger), but the one I have just found is over six inches long and I could probably fit a silver dollar in the top. I'll try to post a pic, but I am very impressed with this little plant. See, I am not a very 'large' nep grower (basically I stay with drosera and sarracennia), so this is news for me.

Get ready boy. With the right conditions, this thing will get pitchers 3 times as large. The plant can grow to over a meter in diameter, but I find that the more light you give it, the more compact it stays.

Heh heh heh....You're in for it! Truncata is one big puppy. Has some of the largest pitchers in the genus!

Is it a highland variety? If so I'd go to great lengths to get a cutting.
smile.gif

Ditto on that, but I think he has just the typical lowland Truncata. Either way, you get a cutting and it's a highland 'Pasian'. Let me know, I got great amounts of rare Sarracenia.

it is a lowlander. got it last year for like five bucks and it has more then doubled in size. I'll post a pic as soon as I have the time. If you e mail me...I'll send a pic straight to you. We'll see. I have so much going on right now in my life (baby coming in sept, house, cleaning, plants, yard, dogs...and so on) that I feel as though I am not paying as much attention to my cps as I can. This particular nep gets about 4 hours direct sun and about 6 hours shade, bright shade though...

Oh well. I may just spend the $100 and get a highland variety. At least I'd actually have something to offer people in trades then.
smile.gif

How big can a truncata get you ask?

Pretty darn big! This plant has a 5 foot spread and the pitchers are about 16" tall when fully opened.

Truncpitcher1.JPG

How about a 6' flower stalk?

truncflower1.JPG

They can get pretty big...
smile.gif

Steve

Steve,
I have seen a couple pics by you and I have to ask: Do you ever lose the awe from being around Neps that big?

Joe

Wow
That is a monster,cant wait for mine to get to that size.
Steve anymore pictures as i see more neps in the background?

Bye for now julian

Hey Steve, do you have any idea how old that truncata is?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ July 09 2004,11:46)]Steve,
I have seen a couple pics by you and I have to ask: Do you ever lose the awe from being around Neps that big?

Joe
Hey Joe,

No Way! I do get cought up in the day to day work here, but I always get away to the CP when I nee to recharge. I am consistantly finding things that make me stop in my tracks. Its also nice to hear our visitors comments. I will never forget how excited I was when my very first bicalc pitcher opened, Or the first time I saw held a 12" truncata pitcher. I see that same amazment in the visitors. Thats one of the best parts about my job.

Steve

[b said:
Quote[/b] (endparenthesis @ July 10 2004,9:43)]Hey Steve, do you have any idea how old that truncata is?
I recieved this plant as a donation from a friend in Oakland. I have had it for about 3 years and it is four times bigger then when I recieved it. I would guess it is from a cutting originally and is about 15 years old.

One of the reasons it is so big is becuase I have it planted right in the bed. It has a huge area to root. All of the Neps that end up in the beds get a ton bigger then thier siblings in hanging baskets.

Steve

Golly, I wish I could get a hold of a camera...

ok, how big does the n. sanguinea get? I've got one of these that is going relatively crazy too...

It doesn't look very tall... has it been repeatedly trimmed over the years? Or does it grow up very slowly, but the leaves and pitchers keep getting bigger? (I've never had a truncata).

Back