What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

San francisco conservatory of flowers trip.

Hey,
I had relatives in town, so we took them to the San Francisco Conservatory of Flowers in Golden Gate Park. This building reopened recently after receiving a lot of storm damage. Here's the building, which is over 100 years old:
Conservatory.sized.jpg

Anyway, it turns out they have a bunch of nepenthes in there! Here they are, and some of them are easily identifiable, and the others I'm not sure of, so I'll leave them all uncaptioned. The truncata was awesome, though!

Nep_1.sized.jpg

Nep_2.sized.jpg

Nep_3.sized.jpg

Nep_4.sized.jpg

More pics!
Nep_5.sized.jpg

Nep_6.sized.jpg

Nep_7.sized.jpg

Nep_8.sized.jpg

And as a bonus pic, a hybiscus flower:
Hybiscus.sized.jpg

All in all, a very impressive place. They have a phillodendron over 100 years old, and all kinds of nice orchids and other tropical plants.

Capslock

Awesome Nepenthes.

The Veitchii and Truncata look amazing.

What a great place and photos Caps.  How are those Neps
smile_n_32.gif

I could not make out from the photos, but how is watering done for all the hanging plants?  Overhead system or by hand?

Ohhh to have that much space!

Aaron.

Hi Capslock
Great photos,the neps look fantastic but that Truncata needs
some barriers around it incase someone falls in
smile_m_32.gif

Bye for now Julian

Realy nice that one picture with the climbing N. x ventrata(?) hanging down in front of the pond with victoria,tropical night blooming Nymphea, and neloumbo is particularily picturesque.:)

HAHA, what a coincidence, I live in the bay area as well. I went to the conservtory on the 1st, but I forgot my camera. You beat me to it caplsock, whats that they say about two minds thinking alike?
smile_n_32.gif

Yeah the place is pretty impressive, I missed the giant water lilie flowers but I was told they were amazing. There were a lot of tourists in the area with the Nepenthes, all scrathing their heads, the information on the plaque was poor. They did not post the names, very frustrating to me because I have not been in carnivorous plants long enough to identify them. Any plant fans in the area should stop by.

Back