What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

They aren't closing

• Thread starter nature_boi
  • Start date
I'm having a problem with my traps right now....

I have a LOT of new growth (maybe 5 to 8 new shoots with probably half of them already with traps) and they are all green.
About a week ago, I fed one of the newer traps a pill bug (aka Rolly Polly) and it closed just like it is supposed to, but I have tried feeding my other traps and they aren't closing!!

Most of them are still pretty small, but I also have an older trap that isnt closing either. Could it be that the one that did close is like in it's ""Prime"" (so to speak) and the other are either too young or too old?? Help please!!

It could be that the other traps have just been triggeered too many times. Do they look different then the funtioning trap? I mean do like the edges of the trap flex back?

lemme see, the older one I mentioned does, but all the younger traps are normal looking (small, but normal)....

btw: thanks for the quickie reply:)

I'm having the exact same problem with my plant. All conditions are great and its getting plenty of new growth, but all of the traps, new or old, refuse to close no matter how much I or bugs agitate the tiny hairs inside. Rather frustrating because the new traps are getting progressively smaller, likely because it hasn't been fed for a month.

It is probably because of the stress that the plant is going through right now.  Even though you've had it for a long time, if some elements in your growing is still not perfect it can result in a plant that grows slowly.  It still makes normal looking traps, but they are very weak and close very slowly or not at all depending on the state of the plant.  I would reccommend you give your plant maybe more light, and make sure their overall humdity is right.  In humidity I'm not talking about the outside humidity, but if you have a clear plastic storage box or anything, put the plant in there and that should help tremendously with the plants overall health (for best results try for box's that is at least, if not more than half the height of the pot).  I find that the dish method for outdoor growing results in weak growth if you grow them in little three inch pots.  
So, most likely your plant is in stress right now, and I would discourage feeding them until the plant's trap can close pretty fast, or  you'll find that fungus will attack the bug and kill the traps in no time.
After that, give it time and your Venus Flytrap will be in good health in no time.

When temperatures drop, they close slow, or even cease to close at all.

Wecome back Spectabilis73!!!!
smile_m_32.gif

Well, in my case its definetely not temperatures, as I have it at a steady 85-90 degrees. Humidity and all other factors are in check as well, and the plant is thriving along with my others. The traps were also closing when and soon after I bought it, yet even though the conditions have remained the same since then, it just refuses to close its traps.

Oh well, more food for my Drosera in the meantime I guess. :p

Back