What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oh my god...........

I am very unhappy at school because evryone hates me and no-one wants to sit next to me.
So mum decided to send me to a good doctor who deals with problems like these. She spoke to his assistant about the problem, and asked for her opinion. She said that she thinks thta I have disprexia.(Not sure if it is spelled right)
The symptoms are difficulty in balance and at catching and throwing a ball. And I have great difficulty in both of those things. I am probbably ill. And it could well be for life.
I am nearly in tears now, I just cant beleive it.
The doctor himself will voice his opinion next week.
And he doesnt get these things wrong, if he says I have it, then I have it, and I probably do.
I cant belive it. I just cant.
I am very nearly in tears now.
Dino

Sorry to hear that, Dino! I did a quick word search but came up with nothing under dysprexia. So I typed in "balance difficulties" and on page two it listed, among other things, something called "dyspraxia". Here is a link to that website:

Dyspraxia

Symptoms of dysprexia:
1)Difficulty in balance(e.g hopping, skipping)
2)Difficulty in riding a bike
3) Usually above average in intelligence
4)Messy eating
5)Difficulty in catching or throwing a ball
6)Disliked and not accepted by kids/people

And guess what? I am ALL of those things.
It is likely I have it, if Dr.Adams says I says I actually have it,t hen I have it.

Messy eating? Just come to America! You'll fit right in!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Grim @ Sep. 12 2004,1:51)]Messy eating? Just come to America! You'll fit right in!
I have ALWAYS been eating messily, not one meal did I eat without leaving mess behind.
smile_h_32.gif

According to the site JimScott posted, there is treatment with about 80% success rate.Sounds like a good option,and the Doctor is in the UK.

Jerry

[b said:
Quote[/b] (cool85k5 @ Sep. 12 2004,2:04)]According to the site JimScott posted, there is treatment with about 80% success rate.Sounds like a good option,and the Doctor is in the UK.

Jerry
I hope it works. Is DR.Adams name on there?
If it does work, hopefully kids will like me at school.
Dino

Hey, no biggie in the scheme of life!  We all have abilities and disabilities, and psychologists like to lump them together under sets of circumastances and give them fancy names, then charge people to treat the conditions. 20 years ago, you wouldn't have a darned thing wrong with you!  I have a hard time with directions and finding my way to and from.  It is annoying and frustrating not to be "normal" in these regards, but nearly everyone has something they have trouble with compared to someone else.  Some have problems concentrating, some have organizational problems, eating disorders, balance problems, vision problems....and some have terminal cancer with 2 weeks to live.  Make the most of what you are here and now.  Eventually you and your peers will come to accept each others abilities and inabilities.  The schoolyard is not all of Life, and although to you it might seem like forever, when you get to my age the entire school history seems a brief and relatively unimportant phase in a long life, and all your hurt and anger will be forgotten.  I was never very popular in school, and had few friends. In fact I was almost universally rejected, picked on and beaten.  This gave me both reason and permission to be myself, rather than trying to be like everyone else, and I am rather pleased with the results.  I have plenty of friends now, and in time so will you.  I am not a carbon copy person, and I am proud of that.
Be yourself, try to improve, and don't worry about it.

When I used to complain to my mother about these school and "health" issues, she would say, "God help you Billy if you ever really have something wrong with you".  Considering the many ills that affect man, I would say your pretty lucky here!  There are so many of these labels going around, I dont even pay attention to them anymore or try to learn their meanings.  If some telly me they are any kind of -ic, be it deslexic, reflectic, upsetic, belemic or *whatever*, it just means to me that I will need to be a little more patient in my dealings with those people, just as they will have to be patient with my liabiities.  Children do not have this sort of patience, and this is why you are picked on.  Acceptance comes with maturity, when we all learn to cut each other a little slack, or hopefully so.

So, lighten up about the label. I know of only on -ic that really prevents friendhsip and destroyes them, and that is alcohol-ic. ALso, adults do not form or reject friendships on the grounds of pop psycology diagnosis, and in fact really don't care at all, provided you can control your behavior, and act as a good human being.

I am gald the problem gpt found out, because it could continuue for the rest of my life. I could leave school and for the next 20 years I might not have a single friend, and I owuld still find it hard to ride a bike and to throw and catch.

So I am very grateful that this has got descovered early, so they can help me now and so I will be liked by ppl and be able to ride a bike.

But then aagin, it is very upsetting to have a long-term disease whcih can only be cuired by going ot a therapist for weeks.
Dino

hey dont worry i prbaly got it aswell i got same syptomes but i have a copel of friends dont worry im your friend i have been for ages its just a stupid thing to worry about if people are nasty to you best bet is to judge on personality if they dont like you youre perslnality then thats that its not chemical its just there jealouse

Dino,
don't worry about it, Bro, I had all those symptoms back then, except it was chalked up to the "fast growth" stage young folks go through....
I am glad they didn't have ADD (or whatever), otherwise I would have been clasified as such instead of being labelled "exceptional"....
an really, anythinng where "above average intelligence" is a symptom can't be all bad;
most of that other stuff you should grow out of, especially if you get some kind of physical therapy to help you along, keep the intelligence though, it comes in handy

(on a side note, I guess I can chalk my bicycle accident which busted my arm up to "sudden onset dyspraxia"..... even though I grew outof it it sometimes comes back for just long enough)

And I'm not making fun of you at all, please understand, I just hope you can understand that what Tamlin said about giving sets of conditions fancy names doesn't necessarily mean everything

i hope all works out for you! but i dont understand how not being able to balance would prevent you from having friends? i just dont understand that. they seem unrelated.

I'm really sorry to hear that, my brother has whats called assburger syndrom (sp?) when i first moved here i didn't like it either, no one wanted to sit by me at lunch and i letterally had one kid say go away dont sit here, even though he was by himself
smile_h_32.gif
My solution was moving to a smaller school, i love it there and i can sit by anyone i want

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Sep. 12 2004,3:31)]i hope all works out for you! but i dont understand how not being able to balance would prevent you from having friends? i just dont understand that. they seem unrelated.
Its another symptom of the condition. All the patients they see witht his condition always says htta htye have trouble making freinds and thta everyone hates them and thye wont be accepted by kids/ppl in school.

I would really like to go to a smaller school but all the schools here are so huge, that is the problem. Im gald things have got better for you Kirk.

that is SO strange, really, i never would have thought that that could be a symptom! well hopefully the medicen and therapy will help. and if someone judges you because of it, then screw them! you don't need them anyway
biggrin.gif

sorry to hear that the medicine really helped my brother, i dont know if there are any charter schools in england but charter schools usually are in big towns, well let us know if it works out

So sorry to hear that Dino! At least you`ve got lotsa friends here;). Lol. I guess we will both be going to a pshycolagist at the same time! Hopefully that`ll work for both our conditions and correct them (I still think not all my symptoms are pshycoligical I think I have something wrong with my gall-bladder).

hmmmmmmmmmmmm..............dang some of those symptoms fit me. the balance thing comes and goes. sometimes im a dang mountain goat other times i can hardly walk. always figured it was a combination of my big feet and bad knees. messy eater well im not the neatest person. above average intellegance, my fiancee thinks so. i think ive got a head full of useless facts and the ability to think for myself, nothing more nothing less. the friends thing, always had friends no one i would really call a best friend till i met Darla. we are darn near identical other than she is just a bit more neurotic.

i dont deal with ppl very well, my knees are shot due to some bad genes, i have allergies, my eyesight aint the best, no one is perfect, everyone is screwed up to some degree. what matters is how YOU deal with YOUR problems/challenges/life in general, who cares what other ppl think?

I'm sorry to hear that, Dino
I can relate to your school experiences in England, most of those kids are so vulgar and indifferent from each other! Don't beat yourself down -- keep your chin up and be who you are. You have people who care about you on this forum, and not all of them are all that far away from Bristol. I'll let you know whenever I'm down that way of the country so we can maybe talk about CP in person! Remember, those kids don't know any better.
I truly hope you feel better some day soon.

Amori

kids in england are indifferent?

iono about the vulgar part, everone is pretty vulgar lol. i thought english kids were the same as american kids ?

Back