What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes that you don't like

Hey guys, I thought I'd make a new thread about neps that you dislike or don't really care to own. We all know what you do liike, thats an easy thing but I don't think I've seen a thread where we disscussed what we don't really like.

I know its hard to say which ones we don't like because frankly all neps are cool but lets put it this way;

What nepenthes would you not pay money to buy?

For me I think its the following,

N. x ventrata
N. x Judith Finn
N. tobaica

Those are the only three I can think of off the top of my head. Theres definatly more I wouldn't pay for...

Diss all the beginner species eh? LOL

Well. to a beginner, just about any nep is pretty...but I wouldn't pass up a N. coccinea or anything similar.

Its hard to say since there are alot that I wouldn't pay money for, but I can't take care of most of them either. Such as aristo., or hamata, villosa, veitchii 'high', truncata 'high', jaqc, etc...... I can't care for them so i wouldn't pay triple digits for a plant I'll kill. BUT..............
I know what you meant and can't think of any I'd refuse for free.

Joe

Hi Flip,

why do you dislike N. tobaica?

N_tobaica_120404_B_small.jpg

Dark red colour forms also exist.

Cheers Joachim

HA I knew someone would say something to the extent of what was said.... hehehe

Perhaps I should be more specific, I like ventricosa and I like alata, I just don't like ventrata. Infact the boschiana mimic's are some of my favorites. I also like spathulata and veitchii just not the hybride of the two (judith finn)

and tobaica, while you have a nice plant, it just doesn't do anything for me. Plus they are so mass produced in some situations the availble plants are low quality....

The mass market "N. tobaica" is not the real thing. Its a mislabeled hybrid from N. ventricosa and perhaps N. khasiana! Joachims picture shows the real N. tobaica.

It is just like all those mislabeled N. x ventratas which were sold as N. alata during the past 15 (or so) years.

Jan

yea I realize that those mass market ones aren't the real thing but they look pretty ding dang close to the real all green ones. Joachim's is indeed a nice plant but I still don't really like it. Strange isn't it? Its not like its has super distinct features that set itself apart from most neps its pretty generic looking, it just dosn't appeal to me and I'd probly never buy one
smile.gif

I have something to say about N. tobaica too!
smile_n_32.gif

445N_tobaica.JPG

This is the N. tobaica I have experience growing.  Like JanW said, the mass market ones are N. 'Emmarene'.  Sure, these are all green and have no spectacular feature (they do have nice coloration INSIDE though,
laugh.gif
), though they do have the nice genetics of branching alot and grappling onto anything the surroundings provide (like the trellis I made for it).  I also think the red ribs contrast well with the green background.

As for Neps I wouldn't buy, I'd have to name only one so far, which is N. coccinea: the pitcher walls are really papery - I tend to prefer the woody ones...  I find there's nothing really spectacular about this hybrid other than the colour.

To each his/her own!

Amori

Not to bombard you or anything FStP, (or anyone else for that matter), here's a closeup of a single upper pitcher:
445N_tobaica_pitcher.JPG

You can see the inner coloration I mentioned earlier a bit better
smile.gif
 You can also see the redness of the underside of the lid.

You've come up with a really interesting topic FLtP!!  Thanks!!
Good growing!

Amori

Hi Amori
Your Tobiaca is indeed a lovely looking plant.I dont think i find any nep boring even the old "Ventrata".I grow a very large Emmerana and if you look in the photo section i find it anything but boring so as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Bye for now Julian

Ventrata is a blah plant.  It's like Ventricosa (which I happen to love for it's personality variablity), but more BLAH.  I do rather like my Judith Finn, I'm not really into hybrids, but this little plant has such a nice pastel color set that as an individual I like it (note it is an origenal cross from seed so other JFs will be a bit different from mine).  Probubly though, I would have to say I most dislike the species with a tendency to vine all over the place when the stem is still thin and small, I don't like trellises and I like my plants bushy... I also avoid hybrids, but I have 2 because with a tiney collection like mine I sure as heck aint gonna turn down free ones.... X edinensis is a nice hybrid though, it can grow in an average living room with out a whole lot of light and still make traps, which makes it nice.

Michelle (my wife and Nep Nut) summed it up best: ANY well grown Nepenthes is a thing of beauty.

I have seen Judith Finn plants with four giant cream green pitchers collared with maroon purple peristomes that are absolute show stoppers.
Just look at Amori's tobaica. It is superbly grown with healthy leaves displaying beautiful pitchers. It's delicate yet eye catching.
If you prune back that common weed-N. ventrata,- you can get a bushy effect covered with red pitchers that look like they're pouring over the edge of the basket.

Again, the key word is "well-grown".

Trent

Here a a couple photos of my N. ventrata. Its not the most wonderous plant, but it can show some nice colors.

N_ventrataFlaredFullPitcher.jpg

N_Ventrata_8-9-04BackPorch.jpg

This is another Ventrata that I have. I have had it since June of 2003. This photo was taken 8/04. Its about 5 times the size it was when I bought it.

AllGreenNepenthes.jpg

This is what the second plant looked like when I bought it. A more or less boring all green plant. Its amazing what some sun can do for a plant.

Yes, ventrata is a beginner plant, but its also a plant that can do some impressive growth.

I agree 100% with Trent.

Hey Julian
I wish it were my plant!  That was a photo I took of the N. tobaica growing at the Fredeik Meijer Gardens when I was volunteering there.  It's a highland specie, but this one was (I think it still is) in lowland conditions.  It's a forgiving plant (no one really "grows" it, if you know what I mean).

Good to hear from you Darcie!  Keeping busy I see!
I understand the bushy/viney aesthetics of Neps.  Some look better bushy (e.g. N. ampullaria) whereas some look better as a vine (e.g. N. veitchii with its leaves wrapped around a tree trunk).  My intention for the tobaica at the Gardens is for it to get bushy with vines.  I took into consideration the branching quality of this specie, and let it climb up to the top of the trellis and snip it there, and plant the cutting in the same container, and let the cycle continue.  I found it quite impossible for that clone at the Gardens to stay low (it won't even make lower pitchers), and instead of having a skinny rosette, I figured the above idea.  N. tobaica is quite a diminutive specie so it'll stay quite skinny.
I appreciate your keeping up the CP collection Darcie!

Later,

Amori

whats wronge with not liking certain plants? N. tobaica just doesn't do it for me, even that beautiful specimen that was posted. Also just because these plants happen to be beginners plants isn't the reason why I don't like them. I noticed most of you didn't want to say which plants you don't like, afraid people will post a bunch of choice specimens and then try and defend the plant? hahah =wink= =wink=
laugh.gif
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

and lets not make any comments about my avatar alright, HAHAHA!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]and lets not make any comments about my avatar alright, HAHAHA!!!

Darn. I was going to bust you on that one.
You know what neps don't do it for me? Neps that aren't MINE MINE MINE ALL MINE!
smile_m_32.gif

for me neps arent tht fascinating, of course i would still love to have an N. Aristolchoides, or N. Inermis, but i like sarras best for now since hey're so widespread and easy to tell apart, although when i visited jeremiahs greenhouse, there were some pretty interesting plants

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You know what neps don't do it for me?  Neps that aren't MINE MINE MINE ALL MINE!

Hahahahaha I agree!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I'm thinking of other Neps I wouldn't pee on to put out a fire.....  
All other crosses that resemble N. coccinea I think.  Those and some really boring Koto crosses (despite my being a Japanese citizen
smile_n_32.gif
. How unpatriotic of me!
smile_l_32.gif
) that all look like a slightly nicer version of the dullest N. mirabilis.

Amori

Flip has an interesting thread here. I can see both sides, but I am on the "Like them all, especially when well-grown" side.
Even a plain green N. gracilis that has been whacked and is a bushy monster with dozens of pitchers is really cool looking.

Cheers,

Joe

Back