What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old nep, first pitchers

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
Can you Id this nep(what am I thinking... of course you can!)

10-15-04%20025.jpg
10-15-04%20026.jpg
10-15-04%20027.jpg

Have you got an overall view of the plant? Looks like a jeuvenile pitcher, so it's kinda hard to tell.

Yea, seeing the leaves would help... I'm guessin' Judith Finn...

Hold on, the plant is actually sorta sad though, but I'll get them in a minute.

10-15-04%20008.jpg
10-15-04%20009.jpg

10-15-04%20010.jpg
10-15-04%20011.jpg

It's not a ventricosa, as it is COMPLETELY different from the one I have which I watched grow from almost nothing. The leaves are also a different shape.

Imana go with Spec and guess 'Judith Finn' aslo.
smile.gif

I too am going with judith finn as the leaves and pitchers look alot like this plants. Only time will tell for sure though.

K thanks for the help. I'll post some pics later of some more mature leave/pitchers.

I will tell you this right now.

It is not NOT x 'Judith Finn'.

The leaves are not round at the end and...wait. Some of them are very similar to x 'Judith Finn'. This plant seems to be bad conditions to it's liking no offense, so it's hard to really tell what it is as some plants misform due to being shaded or not getting suffice humidity.

But I guess it might be a x 'Judith Finn'.

Huh...weird how I can go comeplete from being against the thought of it being one to being pretty sure it's one before even typing the post...

Actually the reason it looks so bad is because of the soil it was in when I got it(it was not spaghnum), it also had hardly any moisture, and a lot of minerals from being watered with city water. The plant was in shock, and repotting it put it farther into shock, it took all summer for it to "cleanse" itself of the minerals, and to get accustomed to the growing conditions, which were bright sun versus the shade it was in when I got it.
It is now accumilating to being grown indoors, where it is fairly warm, and the humidity in my room is about 60-70% or higher, I haven't used my hygrometer(sp) to check my room humidity.

hmmm... my "N. ventricosa" from lowes looked exactly like that. I guess it wasn't N. ventricosa after all.

10-15-04%20026.jpg

You can see the wings in the image, and to the best of my knowledge, Ventricosas do not have wings, so there is no way that the plant you have is a ventricosa if it is just like mine. Also I have never seen Lowes selling anything but a ventricosa(but I could be mistaken).

I guess the wings are a liiiiitle tiny bit smaller :p

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] to the best of my knowledge, Ventricosas do not have wings
Ah! Juvenile ventricosa's DO have wings.
Heres a pic of my latest ventricosa pitcher, the pitcher is about 1.5 inches long, the plant is about 4 inches in diameter. You can see whats left of the wings, which go away as the plant gets bigger. the smaller pitchers on my ventricosa are all green and have wings like the pitchers in your pics.
big%20ventricosa%20pitcher1rs.JPG

Your plant looks identical to one of my plants, with the color and shape of the leaves, which I believe is a judith finn, but won't know for sure until it grows a bigger pitcher.

That is no N. ventricosa.

Yes Young N. ventricosa can have wings (and projections on the top of the lid) but N. ventricosa does not have spatulate leaves. Leaves that get wider as they extend out from the stem. The plant is also way to big for it to be N. ventricosa with juvenile pitchers. The pitcher opening on N. ventricosa is nearly horizontal not held at an angle like this one.

I am almost certain it is the common TC N. Judith Finn found here in the US. As it gets older the dark purple peristome will form. Both N. veitchii and N. spathulata take a while to show their peristome features.

Tony

Heres wesley's plant.
10-15-04%20008.jpg

Now heres my plant that looks identical...
gubler%20nep2%20oct14rs.JPG

Now heres my ventricosa
ventricosa%20plant%20top%20view1rs.JPG

I hope this clears up any confusion.

Wow, and I never thought that there would be a diagreement as to which Nep I had.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CNCreefer @ Oct. 17 2004,12:28)]Ah! Juvenile ventricosa's DO have wings.
Heres a pic of my latest ventricosa pitcher, the pitcher is about 1.5   inches long, the plant is about 4 inches in diameter. You can see whats left of the wings, which go away as the plant gets bigger. the smaller pitchers on my ventricosa are all green and have wings like the pitchers in your pics.
Your plant looks identical to one of my plants, with the color and shape of the leaves, which I believe is a judith finn, but won't know for sure until it grows a bigger pitcher.

Umm ok I am confused... Seems like your arguing with me that it is a N. ventricosa when you in fact previously stated it looked like N. Judith Finn.  And I support with my assessment.

Aside from that, your picture of N. ventricosa (which looks like a typical young N. ventricosa) does not resemble Wesley's plant much at all.  Look closely at all his pictures and you will see the dramatic reduction in leaf blade from wide near the tip to almost nothing at the stem, the leaf margins starting to show some waves, and the more squared off leaf tips.

Now granted not every leaf on Wesley's plant highlights each of these traits. But the fact that they do pop up here and there and they don't on the N. ventricosa is the defining factor.
Tony

Back