What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An uninvited guest?

I have 2 VFTs and one pitcher and all are doing well. However, I just noticed three days ago a plant that looks like a piece of grass growing in the area of the pitcher plant. This morning I looked at it closely and saw that it had tiny little hairs on it, and when I sprayed the tank down for humidity, the hairs became more visible and collected water on them.

What are the chances of my accidentally acquiring a sundew? I'm thinking that that's what this is, and the growers may have accidentally put a sundew seed (or something) in the potting mix.

I'll post a pic when I can, but it's almost three inches long. Just a single, hairy blade.

Sounds more like grass to me..... Does it have dew without you spraying it?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pond boy @ Oct. 18 2004,8:56)]Sounds more like grass to me..... Does it have dew without you spraying it?
It looked like a very slight bit of dew was on the hairs before I sprayed it, but I thought it might have been from the humidity I keep in the terrarrium.

I suppose if there's a dead bug stuck to it, I'll know. It grew awful fast, though.

It's not growing like grass, it's just shaped like grass. Grass 'round here usually starts small and grows fatter as it rises from the ground. This thing grew up already as wide as it is; the only change was height, not width.

Well it realy sounds like grass....only a pic will tell.

I'll get a pic when I get home after work -in about 11 hours.

GAAAHHHH! I completely forgot to ask a question. Has anyone else ever had 2 different carnivorous plants in the same package sold as one? Perhaps from a packaging error?

I`ve had a sundew in with a Darlingtonia once. I realy need to give Darlingtonia another shot. I meen I kept them alive for almost a year before when I wasn`t even "into" cps.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pond boy @ Oct. 18 2004,10:22)]I`ve had a sundew in with a Darlingtonia once. I realy need to give Darlingtonia another shot. I meen I kept them alive for almost a year before when I wasn`t even "into" cps.
So, it's not unheard of to get 2-fers in a single pot, then? Sweeet! If it IS what I think it might be. I'm gonna see what it'll become.

Touch it and see if it makes a thread when you pull your finger away from it.
If you look closely at Drosera tentacles, you can clearly see a little bulge on the tip, where the glands that secrete the mucilage are located. If it doesn't look viscous at all, it's grass. If however there is some thickness to the dew, you may have gotten yourself a volunteer Drosera.

Amori

WHere's the pic? Whats the hold up? Curiousity must be satisfied.

Back