What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*asterisks*

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Now we all atribute their origin and use to our very own Flytrapgurl, but I have seen them used in other places, leading me to believe that there is another source. Does anybody know what that source is? Inquiring minds....

I've used them since I first started chatting on BBS's... I don't remember what started it.

If you want to go really far back...
smile.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterisk

They're used for quoting (or de-quoting, I suppose) actions, such as writing *sigh* instead of "I'm sighing." I first picked up on them after playing online text-based games (like MUDs,) but I don't know where they came from. Probably old interactive text-based communication protocols.
~Joe

I think some stone age man scribbled them on a wall as stars or something... or perhaps a teacher one day said...

"That is just wrong, it's to wrong for an X... what's worse than an X... hmmm.. I know... *"  Bam... the astrisk was born.
cool.gif

has anyone ever read "Breakfast of Champions" by Kurt Vonnegut? He has an interesting take on the asterisk.

There's an asterisk next to Roger Maris' homerun record, when he got past Babe Ruth. There were some interesting remarks about it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Jan. 28 2005,2:55)]Now we all atribute their origin and use to our very own Flytrapgurl, but I have seen them used in other places, leading me to believe that there is another source.
See, I've been telling you guys this all along...

Back