What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gemmae sprouts

How long should I expect gemmae to do there thing(not sure of the proper term). I planted D. nitidula x pulchella. It's still a bit chilly out here on the california coast, so if they need spring to do it I might need to wait longer.

Oh and how wet should I keep them, the savage garden says how to water the adults but not the gemmae. (also how the hell is that pronounced, I swear these latin and botany names will be the death of me
confused.gif
)

They should sprout almost immediately. D. scorpioides gemmae taken directly from the plant, put in an envelope with moist tissue paper and mailed, will usually have fine roots by the time the letter arrives a few days later. Simply sow the gemmae on the surface of moist peat or peat/sand mix, keep a bit warm and provide light, and they should sprout within a week.

gemmae is pronounced jem ee

Hi trainspotting, I was new to pygmys 3 years ago and planted a bunch all in my first try here in San Diego, and they sprouted in a matter of DAYS. They are great little plants and very easy here in my climate. I made sure the little gemmae were pressed gently into the soil surface but not burried, and put the 4" pots in less than 1' of water, just enough to keep the soil damp.

Thanks for the replies guys, I hope its not too cold out there for them.

trainspotting,

I have them growing outdoors year round in San Francisco with no problems. You should be fine.

Capslock

yeah I'm out in Walnut Creek so if anything I should be a little bit warmer.

Back