What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia id?

Hello! Can anyone tell my what species is this Sarracenia? It is just breaking its dormancy and is full of green leaves that I gues will turn red as the old pitchers did last summer.

SARRACENIAUNKNOWN.jpg

Also, I'd like to know which are the parrents of Sarracenia 'Scarlet Belle', and if this is a natural hybrid or a cultivar? Any one knows? I've been trying to find it in my books, but no one says anyhting about it.

Thank you for your help as always
smile.gif

'Sacarlet Belle' is a hyrbid between S leucophylla and S. psitticenia and was apparently a unique plant so it got cultivar status. That plant looks like S. psitticenia or S. formosa but I cannot tell becasue the picture is too grainy

Hello!

Treagum: Thank you for the info, it is much apreciated!!!

Here are 2 more pictures. They have better light than the other, so I hope this can help to ID this Sarracenia.

SARRACENIAUNKNOWN3.jpg

SARRACENIAUNKNOWN2.jpg

Looksn like a S.psittacenia to me.

I will probibly say S. psitticenia but how is the rhizome branching? And how are the pitchers inflating (beaked/hawk-nosed or rounded). When it gets a bit bigger show us some more pictures. Small S. x. formosa and S. psitticenia look almost identical except for those two characteristics

Hey guys!

Well, I would say that is beaked, that is how it looks to me, it is not rounded, it is more pointed. It is not like Scarlet Belle, SB has more rounded pitchers tip, but this one is pointed.

And about the rhizome.. hmm.. I do not knwo what do you mean, give me an example and I'll tell you... Well it has 3 growing points. The big one and then has a small one in the left and other in the right, it seems like a cross when you look it from above.

What do you think???

Hard to tell for sure from those pics, but I don't think it's psittacina. I do think it's 'Scarlett Belle'. Looking at a couple of the pitchers where you get a face-shot, they are not rounded enough to be psittacina. Also, it looked like there was at least one pitcher where the hood had opened up somewhat. that doesn't happen in psitt. depending on where you got it, i'd say Scarlett Belle. it's in TC production and can be commonly found at various garden centers and such. if you got it from a private grower, then perhaps it's something else. but i am confidant that it is not a pure psitt.

Hello!

Well, I bought this Sarracenia from Dean Cook. I am sure it is not 'Sacrlett Belle', becuase I have nver bought that plant from Dean. When I bought this plant, it had its name in a tag, but I lost it and now I do not know what iti s, but Ican bereally sure it is not 'Scarlett Belle'. I do not think ether that iti s S. psittacina, its pitchers are too opne to be S. psittacina.

I think we will need to wait until mid spring to see more developed pitchers. then I will post new pictures, so you all can have a better view and idea.

Thank you guys!
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden

Back