What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making multiple plants from 1?

Hey guys. I just got my first VFT, its my first plant to own. this site is VERY good. I love it.

First off.. I bought 2 VFTs. The first pot has about 5 traps, looks pretty healthy, I will take pics when I get home, and the 2nd pot has over 8 traps. and small baby traps. I was wondering for the 2nd pot can I take the babies apart somehow and repot them? I actually repotted both plants into a 10 gal Aquarium tank with Peat Moss. I am using a fluorescent light bulb right now.  I think I will be purchasing a type of sundew and maybe butterwort to go with my collection as a starter. But as for the splitting of my VFT.. How or should I go about doing this?

Dividing VFT is best done right at the end of dormancy or start of first spring growth.

You mentioned that you transplanted them into a terrarium, and are planning on getting some other plants to add to the terrarium. Remember that VFT requires a 3 to 4 month dormancy every year with reduced watering and photoperiod as well as cooler temperatures. Unless your other plants require simmilar conditions you are going to run into problems with providing these conditions while keeping your other plants thriving. It may require you to dig them out of the terrarium and place them in the appropriate environment for dormancy.

Most people prefer to repot durring dormancy, it is not necessary though.

To divide the plants, simply dig it out, and carefully wash all the root system off. Try to be careful not to damage them in the process (and make sure you dont use tap water). After you can see the growth points carefully seperate the individual plants. I find a pair of tweezers works well for teasing apart the roots. After you get them apart just repot them, give em good light, a tasty drink and lots of love and soon you will be rewarded with nice healthy bug hungry VFTs.

Good luck
Steve

jlui83,
I could be wrong, but it sounds to me that you meant that your smaller plant has 8 traps, and can you take those "8 plants" apart and transplant them?

each trap is not one induividual plant..
its only one plant with 8 leaves.
so it cant be divided in that sense..
sorry if I misunderstood what you meant..
Scot

sorry guys im new at this.. I just got into this a couple days ago. I really like the Sundew.. I think the name is Binata? it has red coloring and kind of looks like tenticles. anyways. Im just starting off with the VFT first because I think they look really nice and are very interesting. I have both plants inside a 2 1/2 gal tank right now. I put a piece of glass over the top to keep the humidity up and then I have a fluorescent bulb I think its called fluorex... anyways.. does anyone know where I can find the sundew binata?

Drosera binata isn't hard to find, you can get it from many CP retailers online. It's fairly common in collections as well, so you'll see them on the trading forum from time to time.
Beware that many types of D. binata are large, sprawling plants that aren't easily accomodated under small or low-hanging lights. My D. binata puts out 16" long leaves that dangle over the edge of my grow rack, get tangled in other plants, and make a gooey mess of any surface they touch - and it's getting bigger. I recently bought new lights just so I could have a shelf with enough clearance to accomodate that plant (and a few of my big succulents, but the D. binata was the first to actually touch the old lights.)
That terrarium you have your VFTs in should work, just make sure there's enough air circulation to prevent disease, and be careful about observing dormancy when the time comes. In the winter, it will need to go outside or into a cold part of your home for the duration of the season. For that reason, you need to be sure that any plants that go into your VFT terrarium like to have a cold dormancy. Most plants that need dormancy in the winter are called temperates, referring to the climate in which they naturally grow. There are numerous appropriate sundews and butterworts. Drosera binata can take a winter dormancy, although I'm not sure if it will survive a hard freeze. But fortunately, it doesn't need a dormancy, so you can just keep it indoors year round and it will grow continuously, with maybe a little slowdown in the winter.
You can learn a whole lot about the various genera of carnivorous plants from Barry Rice's CP FAQ here, including the details on dormancy and such. Take what Barry says about plants dying with a grain of salt - he's a little pessimistic about it if you ask me. My experience with CPs has been that, when you follow the instructions, you get pleasing results. So read up and follow the directions!
Good luck,
~Joe

I'll keep that in mind. I am and will keep researching on VFTs and Sundews that I want. Thanks again

How big does a vft plant have to be before you can make more please?

well, i divided my vft about a 1-2 weeks ago, and the new dividing, i noticed that its starting to sprout!! im so excited..

Back