What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odd experience with d.rotundifolia

mabudon

Metal King
Right, rattler_mt started a thread that would have covered this, but after one reply (mine) it sank and that was that....

I found a tiny seedling of D.rotundifolia in my bog in early september last year.. since winter comes on hard and fast after that (I live in the Niagara area of Ontario, Canada) and the seedling was SO tiny, I figured it would not live through the winter, so I brought it inside and figured it would grow til I put it out this spring...

It was growing with all of my other stuff and looking pretty good up til mid-late december, when, with absolutely no changes in photoperiod or temperature, it formed a hibernacula and went dormant....

I didn't know what to do, since it was rather inconveniently planted in a brandy snifter with a whack of D.tokaiensis, so I just left it...

Now, some months later, it appears to have avoided rotting and is coming back to growth...

What happened here??? I thought it would rot and die, but it is fine... why did it even go dormant in the first place???
And now, since it obvioulsy WAS dormant and now is obviously breaking it, WAS it truly dormant, even without shorter days and cooler temps??

I'm not too worried at all about it, I just found the whole situation to be kinda odd and was wondering if anyone else had any insight as to what happened and why...

Dormancy is when a plant forms a hybernacula and ceases to grow. Sounds like that is what you witnessed. I keep my Drosera rotundifolia under lights 15 hours/day all year long and that is exactly what mine do also. They form hybernacula and go dormant from time to time. No problems, just anxious for my Drosera rotundifolia (Evergrow/Charles Darwin) to grow up, perhaps it will skip the dormancy period as advertised.

That's pretty neat. I thought that you had to give it cooler temperatures as well as shorter day lengths. They are definitely smart little plants.

Back