What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead traps

Just a quick question. When you have a trap itself that dies, but the petiole is still alive and healthy looking, do you just cut the trap off and leave the petiole there trapless? Or get rid of the whole thing? Thanks.

Anything green is good. It is still carrying on photsynthesis. Just get rid of anything black/brown. In nature, dead material is taken care of more effectively, in captivity, as with tropical fish or anything we have as pets, we have artificial environments. Therefore, we need to help things along a bit.

I second that! hehe Actually I just wanted to say hi to FlytrapNewbie.
biggrin.gif

Just nip off those dead blackened traps and let the leaf live as long as its green.

Will it be possible to use said petiole for a leaf cutting or the trap has to be included also?

I have one leaf pulling that is now a new plant. I believe the new plant emanated from the white part - the non-trap end.

Back