What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
First, the disasters: I am officially disbandoning / putting on the backburner the notion of Sterilite containers, streams, swampy areas, and the concept of a min-bog. Not working out!

Using 50 ml centrifuge tubes for leaf cuttings: It doesn't work with ping leaves or N. mirabilis seeds. NOTHING works with N. mirabilis seeds! The jury is out for Cephalotus follicularis, VFT's, and D. binata. It works quite well for D. filiformis.

Plastic pipette containers: Excellent for germinating seeds, sprouting gemmae, and pretty good for "open tray".

Air conditioning exhaust water: I used it for Darlingtonia. It wasn't the best idea I've ever had.

Tallish open tray containers, to hold as much water as possible for outdoor cultivation in summer heat. Never ever put CP pots in open tray containers that are taller than the CP pots. After one major rain event, 3 out of 5 pots rose, floated, and turned over, mixing and losing the seedlings. Drainage is an excellent concept.

Who was it that had that Thomas Edison quote in their signature?

How about the rest of ya'll?

you have the option of planting near a stream? Lucky you! Id be loading up on cobra lilys!

Whats goin on with the mini bogs though? Why do you say they arent working? I wouldnt give up those, maybe some of us could help you with some suggestions if we knew what the problems were. Mini bogs are all I keep now since they pretty much care for themselves here in washington. I know tons of other people here also keep their plants in mini bogs here as well. Tell us whats up and we'll be more than happy to help if we can.

dont feed plants sugar!! bad idea!

Whats wrong with sterlite containers as bogs? I bury them w/out drainage and everything is fine. If you slope them you cna get a wider range of plants.

For forum purposes, I badly miscalculated the variables and have had some losses. It is also likely that we will be moving some time during this summer.

Clint, that sounds like a take-off on Gremlins.

Back