What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Byblis liniflora

Can Byblis liniflora be grown as a windowsill plant instead of a terrarium plant?

I grow mine as a windowsill plant.

I did also, but it seems to struggle with lower humidity or cold or draft. This may be one of the few that does better in a terrarium.

BTW what needs to be done to germinate it?

I've approached in the same manner of any CP - disperse them over the damp surface of the media of your choice and cover. Mine sprouted in a week.

Ahh maybe mine did not sprout because I stratified them

Rather than start a new thread I figure this question fits here- a friend is sending me a few fresh Byblis liniflora seeds (fresh as in right out of the pod yesterday)
The Savage Garden mentions something about a "rest period" for freshly harvested seeds, before you attempt germination..
What kind of "rest"
confused.gif
Should it be in the fridge??? For how long, like by the time they get here in the mail should they be good to go, or should I wait???

Thanks for readin me post, any help here would be hot
biggrin.gif

Maybe you should do half and half, sow some now, have some rest before planting?

The Savage Garden says to wait a few weeks before sowing them. I think this is because Byblis sees drier winters in it's natural environment - so maybe it's like a dry stratification? Save the seed in the fridge or a cool spot for a few weeks in a dry container, like squash and other annuals. Or, you could sow it in a dry medium and wait a few weeks to begin watering. Sszvein has a good point - it's a prudent idea to try multiple methods and see what turns out best.
Best luck,
~Joe

I find that they germinate faster on wetter mix.

larry- I was going to put them on a really wet mix of 2:1 sand/peat, I was just worried about putting "unripe"
seeds on there and having them rot- my luck with Drosera is pretty good but larger seeds seem to give me headaches (ask Sszvein)
I will likely split them up and toss the second half in after maybe 2 weeks

Back