What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. alata (covington la) seed for donations

I have a few packets of seed from my rescued Covington LA S. alata. These are seeds pollinated in their original natural habitat, so they represent the maximum genetic diversity preserved from the wild before destruction of the site.

Each packet has ~50 seeds.  The seeds come from 3 different seed pods, and i have labeled them as such, so if you want seed from different pods to increase the genetic diversity, i can guarantee multiple packets from different pods.

I have just harvested the seed from just-ripened pods, so there should be excellent germination rate.

I am asking for a $15 donation to Geraldine Watson, owner of the Watson Pinelands Preserve in Big Thicket National Park, for each seed packet:  Check/money order payable to Geraldine Watson.

I have 10 packets available.

Rules:

* Post here, and say how many packets you want.

* PM me with your name and address.  I will reply with my address and confirm reservation of your packets.  

* Send your check/money order.  

I will send the seed on receipt of your check.

Quoting HoustonHerp from the CP ListServ:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There is a small private preserve in Tyler County, Texas called the Watson Pinelands Preserve, only a few short miles from more well-known CP sites. It is owned by Geraldine Watson, a woman in her eighties who has spent her life trying to increase awareness about the importance of preserving the Big Thicket. In fact, many people refer to her as the 'mother of the Big Thicket Association,' an organization that was a major driving force in the creation of the Big Thicket National Preserve. She has even written books on the Big Thicket, and is mentioned by many authors on the same subject.

Her twelve-acre site has an astounding array of microhabitats, from bogs full of CPs, orchids and many other rare jewels of East Texas Bogs, to rising areas of ferns and Jack-in-the-pulpits, to uplands with beech trees and native azaleas. It has been her passion - and obsession - to create as close a floral representation of what she remembers the Big
Thicket was like as a child.

This preserve is privately owned (no government or non-profit funding), and is open to the public seven days a week, 24 hours a day (no fences). She has little to no funds to maintain the place, and the boardwalk across the bog is in a sad state of disrepair. Therefore, I am requesting that you consider making a donation to help rebuild the boardwalk and maintain this awesome display of native plants of the Big Thicket. Since the preserve is privately owned, your donations are NOT tax deductible. But you will have the knowledge that you have done a great deed in the fight to preserve a CP habitat.

So would we be sending checks directly to you or to Mrs. Watson? I sure would like to add these to my seed for next year, but I'm not sure I can afford it at the moment... I'll check back when I've balanced my checkbook.
~Joe

You will make the check payable to Geraldine Watson, but mail it to me. When I've collected all the checks, I will send them on to Geraldine.

So far, there have been no takers.

So, I am opening this up to trades.

I am looking for anything not on my grow list (also looking for items on my grow list marked as deceased).

I'll also gift seeds to experienced Sarracenia growers who will propagate and spread the plants to other CPers. Just PM me.

I will send a check to you payable to the woman. I trust your judgment and if you think she needs the money, I'm ok with that. Give me about a week and I have your address. What ever you are up to, it sounds very thoughtful and sweet.  Let her keep the pack of seeds and try to sell them to somebody else.

I'll take a (1) pack. Will be my first Sarracenia.

Wow laura, that's very nice of you
smile.gif

Hey Outsiders71!  Welcome to Terra.

SarraceniaScott Are any of the seed packs left? Did I understand you correctly in that a pack contains seeds from each pod? Or were you refuring to getting multiple packs? Either way I would be interested in one. Especialy since its going to a worthy cause. Thanks Scott.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ June 25 2005,11:39)]SarraceniaScott   Are any of the seed packs left?  Did I understand you correctly in that a pack contains seeds from each pod?  Or were you refuring to getting multiple packs?  Either way I would be interested in one.  Especialy since its going to a worthy cause.  Thanks Scott.
Yes, I have many of the seed packs left.

Each pack contains ~50 seeds from one seed pod, and I've labelled the packs so I know which pod they came from.

So if you want more than one pack, I can make sure you get them from different pods.

PM me if interested.

I'm interested in 1 pack. I have Pmed you. Zongyi

Back