What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burned leaves... help..

My was wonder if anyone can help me out. I gathered my collection last spring... so this is my first complete growing season. Most of my sars are starting to get burned. All made it through dormancy and I repotted them in the 2 set ups that I have in the photos. All sprung to life and have been growing outside in full sun since coming out. Over the past couple weeks, the rims of many of my sarrs have started to burn. They seem to be growing fine besides this.

--I am in southwest ohio
--They are on the south side of my house and get full sun.. sun up to sun down.. not filtering at all.
--I use rain or distilled water... which I always keep at lease an inch or two deep in the water tray.
--The media under the half inch of LFspag is spag and sand.
--All my VFTs are in good shape and growing well.
--I did have a small case of aphids that distorted some of the growing pitchers... i sprayed and watered with Ortho systemic which fixed the problem. I followed the directions and only did one application. That was a week or so before the burning has started.

So I was wondering if I should move them to get less sun or if it is a different problem all together. Also... since these collections are in the sun all day... would the media be getting too hot? I could paint the exterior white to help with this. Is spring growth softer then the later growth?

You can see some of the browning edges in the photos.

Any reasons here.

CPs-2.jpg

CPs-1.jpg

Well your plants look great.
The leaves rims are turning brown because of intense sun. The plants are probably not used to such powerful sunlight. I think they should get a little less sunlight and more shade, and slowly to adjust them to the new , and higher light level, but they are likely to get well on their own once they get used to their new place.

Wouldn't worry about the burned leaves. It's probably just them addjusting to the sun. Pitcher plants are full sun plants. The next leaves that come up shouldn't burn as easy.

keep them there! they look great!

I was planning on just watching the next batch of leaves pop up to see how they do.

All the leaves that are now burning on the rims have grown completely in full sun. None started under my garage dormancy lights.

In general are spring leaves more sensitive since they grew in less intense (full) sun during the spring?

Your plants look very good. Spring leaves are indeed more tender because they probably developed during cooler and more cloudy conditions. Later leaves will likely develop under brighter and more intense sun. I would keep them in full sun, but make sure that as summer progresses they always have adequate water. Your plants are still relatively small and you have several plants in a somewhat small and shallow pot which can quickly dry out during a hot day. My one suggestion is to get a larger and deeper pot. The plants could be transferred with minimal disturbance by carefully placing the entire soil/plant mass into a hollowed out place in the larger pot or half whiskey barrel.

Yeah that is another thing on the list is to get a larger glazed container(s)...

These are 8"deep... so I am hoping to get them all through this season and then transfer next spring. I do keep my eye on them to make sure the tray always has water...which can go fast on the hot days.

Where are the burned leaves?

The purpurea pitcher is just dying off due to old age - they go brown around the edge of the hood and then it'll travel down the rest of the leaf.

I don't think you need to repot though, they look in perfect health. Spring leaves will also be able to handle strong sun - you'll easily burn in April in Alabama.

Well this picture was taken a week ago at this point... so they are worse then what you see here. I can get a new shot of the actual burning now if needed.

You can see the starting of the burning in the bottom photo... top pot... the bright green sarr with the top of its hood facing the camera. This is how it starts and now the edges on that one are dry and burnt up.

The purpurea is actually doing the best.. no burning at all. The nasty pitchers you see there are last years... so those don't count.
smile.gif

I was searching around for people with similar problems and on guy said that the burning on his started on the hood where the nectar appears... which is actually where mine are burning as well. And said that the nectar can magnify the sun and burn the plant. Who knows.

you have NO problems!
smile.gif

your growing conditions are excellent, dont change a thing..
yes its possible there is some actual burning there..perhaps that pitcher isnt used to the extremes of the summer sun.
no worries, it wont hurt the plant, and all new pitchers that come up on that plant I bet wont burn at all..
my plants FRY every spring when I finally put them out on my Balcony!
they have to grow indoors February-April, because its still winter until mid-April..so I just plop them outside on those first warm april days, and all the stringy weak pitcher growth that popped up between Feb and April immediately turns crispy brown...but its fine!
that indoor growth is weak..all pitchers that grow AFTER april, that grow outdoors, can take the sun just fine!
after a month or so I just cut off all that weak burnt growth and the plants are good to go..

I have heard of people who try to "acclimate plants slowly to full sunlight" but I say
dogbert-bah.gif
 to that..
these plants are tough! no need to coddle them.
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And said that the nectar can magnify the sun and burn the plant. Who knows.

myth, myth, myth, myth.
never happens, will never happen..
next time you are at the beach, or a swimming pool, get out of the water into direct intense summer sunlight.
do not towel off.
let the hundreds of tiny water droplets remain on your skin, in the sun..
will you get hundreds of little burn marks all over your skin?
have you ever?
nope...because its a myth..
the sun comes out all the time immediately after a summer rain..no plant has ever been burned by a droplet of water acting like a magnifying glass..it doesnt happen..ever..because its a myth...
(rant off..)

sorry! got distracted there..
Matthew,
your plants are very lucky to get that much sun!
I envy your set up..
mine only get morning sun..they no direct sun at all after 1-2pm..I wish they had more..
you have no problems!
Scot

i second that scotty! i have NEVER aclimated any darlingtonia, sarracenia to outdoor life. i just stick em out there!

And last .. does the media heating up do anything? It always stays damp.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]myth, myth, myth, myth.
never happens, will never happen..

I've seen photos of sarras in the wild that have suffered nectar burn. They are just little holes in the lid where a drop of necar has acted like a magnifying glass.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ June 17 2005,9:12)]i second that scotty! i have NEVER aclimated any darlingtonia, sarracenia to outdoor life. i just stick em out there!
I must respectfully disagree, based on the experience I have had. I once bought a Darlingtonia from one of those Lowes plastic cubes. When I got home, I re-potted it and the other two plants in the cube. I put the Darlingtonia outside and with a few hours, all of its existiing pitchers withered.

Especially with already stressed plants from garden centers and those that have been shipped, they are or may be in shock and going one environmant to a radically different one, can be deadly.

Tissue cultured plants can be a bit more sensitive in my experience, which is probably where your cobra orginated from.

Get them up off the ground. You have concrete under them which reflects the heat up to the laef, and has a drying effect. Put them on a table 12 to 30 inches off the ground to avoid the drying effects of radiated heat off of the concrete. And yes, nectar being thicker than water and with different properties, just might burn a pitcher, but not likely unless conditions are just right. Radiated heat on the other hand, is no good for your growing conditions, and will destroy good plants in a short time. Get them up off the ground, then check their growth, and let us all know what is going on.

Sounds good Bugweed. They are also next to my house that has white siding, so they get the reflect from that as well. I raised both setups onto larger clay pots and now set them to the side a bit into the grass.. no more concrete.

thanks

Back