What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is solanum torvum quasi-carnivorous?

Hello!

In Pietropaolo's book "Carnivorous Plants of the World" there is a list of plants that have similar structurs to those of the carnivorous. It also sais that some species of these genera maybe carnivorous but there are notenough information or studies about them.

I found growing among my Junipers a small Solanum torvum, and though these plants grow in the wild here i have never seen what i saw in that small plant. When i found it had its leaves covered with dead and dying insects.

Without a second thoght i took the plant out of the Junipers and potted it.

Since that day i am looking for info about this plant, but i do not find any. Does anybady have info about it. It is possbile that his plant maybe quasi-carnivorous or maybe carnivorous?

This plant is covered by little hairs and the hairs in the leaves have small liquid drops very simmilar to those of the Sundews. I am amazed!
smile_l_32.gif

Any commnets?
confused.gif

Thanks...
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden

I'm not sure if it is a quasi-carnivore or not. Some plants go through a 'phase' where insect protein may be a supplement to immature plants. But it IS a member of the nightshade family. And juniper isn't exactly friendly either.

What I have found with a google search is that "turkeyberry" or "devil's fig" is considered an invasive, noxious weed in the USA. USDA Plant profile

Not sure where you live, but just an FYI if you don't already know, they get quite big and prickly (tree-size, dwarf a cow big).

Hello Anoxos! Thanks for your reply and info! I know these plants are considered as invasive in the mainland USA (I am in PR, USA). And i do know how big these plants can get, since i have seen them in the wild here.

But i am very interrested in them, just to make an experiment and see what can happen and if they can be quasi-carnivorous, or maybe carnivorous.

Thanks for the page of the USDA Plant Database, but was in this same site where i found the info i know:)

Cheers,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden

Back