What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosophyllum seeds up for grabs

I know they sound cool to have but please only take them if you think you can grow them.

I have 14 packs of Drosophyllum seeds up for grabs. Each pack has 4 seeds that should be enough to make sure you have at least one germinate. I received 4 seeds about a year and a half ago, I had all of them germinated but only one lived but is has flowered and I was able to get seed. Please post here so we can keep track.

I would like to send them in boxes or padded envelops I don't know if you just want to send a few dollars or what. I think that would be best, just make sure to put that it is for the Drosophyllum seeds and print you name and address clearly.

This is how I recommend sowing them.

First rub the seeds between sand paper (100 to 200 grit seem to work best) until you remove part of the black seed coat. After that let them soak in warm water over night. Sow on pure vermiculite keep damp but not wet. The seeds should germinate in about two to three weeks, mine took two. Check the seeds daily after the first week.

As soon as you see germination remove them from the vermiculite and plant them in a 5 to 6 inch terracotta pot fill 1/2" from the top with a soil recipe of 1 part of each of the following sand, perlite, and vermiculite and 1/2 parts pumice (if you have the pumice great but they sould be fine with out it) and 1/4 part peat. Then put that pot in 9 to 11 inch terracotta pot and fill 1/2" from the rim with the same soil but one more part sand.

The double potting may not be necessary but it sure seem to make things a lot easier.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

thanks again
-Jeremiah-

I'm interested in a pack!

Oh very much so PLEASE! I think I definatly have a chance of growing this. Thanks so much for the chance to try!
Andrew

hmm... just read a bit about them, I seem to have the conditions...
I'd like one. thanks!
do you mist them? how often?

I would also love to have a pack. Thank you very much.

"do you mist them? how often?"

Nope I never mist them, I just water the outer pot one or two times a week.

You will need very bright light to look nice and mean full sun for them to look the best. I really recommend agents growing them in a terrarium unless you have Halide lights. Temperature does not seem to be an issue with Drosophyllum, I have had them up to 122F and down to 28F with no ill effects what so ever.

One you get past the first few months Drosophyllum seem very adaptable, I took it to two show back to back where the humidity was in the low teens and it never lost is dew and a week after it sent up the flowers.

thanks
-Jeremiah-

I have been waiting for a generous offer like this...please let me have this privelege!

no misting? wow. Do you think it would be good for them if you misted them? they get some moisture from fogs in the wild. I was planning on misting them at least once a day.
They don't seem too hard...

i would like to give them a try, let me know what ill owe you for a padded envelope or what ever you see fit to ship them in

If there are any left, I'd like some.

yeah you are the 8th

I really don't know how much they cost but a couple bucks is fine.

opps and my address is
Jeremiah Harris
712 Columbia Rd
Colorado Springs CO 80904

thanks
-Jeremiah-

oh god oh god oh god. i need to change my pants!

i'd LOVE a pack and i'm confident i can grow them.

If theres any left, a sase will go out IMMEDIATELY! thank you Jeremiah!

oh sweet jesus thank you....

I am so happy I made it in time!
Can I send the payment through paypal. Or should I just send a check.
Thanks alot
-Nick

I would like to put my name in for a packet. Thanks in advance.

Back