What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On our way back to Southern California, Noah and I had the honor and privilege of touring Steve's collection, and annoying him endlessly by taking hoards of pictures. Here are some of my photos.

s. X areolata, Citronelle Bog

S. alata, St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana.

S. X moorei, "Red Sumatra" from Botanique nursery. Best Pitchers are in the spring.

S. X areolata, Citronelle Bog, Mobile County, Alabama.

S. X readii, natural hybrid from Tibbie Bog, Washington County, Alabama.

Possibly an S. r. wherryi red form.

Burgundy S. X moorei. Wilkerson Bog, Walton County

S. alata, Leon County, Texas forma "nigrapurpurea"

S. minor, Horry County, South Carolina.

S. minor, Horry County, South Carolina

S. alata X leucophylla X alata, natural hybrid, Tibbie Bog, Washington County, Ala.

Olde babies from Tibbie Bog, Washington County, Alabama

Citronelle Bog, s. leucophylla, red tube form.

s. X areolata X s. r. wherryi

The famous OREO BOWL!!!!!!

Look! Pitcher plants!

Many, many plants!!!

This circulating water bog hosts stocky form s.r. gulfensis, s.X areolata X alata, a natural hybrid from Citronelle Bog, Schnell's Ghost (center), d. anglica, d. intermedia (Carolina Giant), d. capillaris (Autauga County, Ala.), many VFT's, and to the right of center, my favorite leuco, Citronelle White Beauty. Also present in this bog are d. filiformis (New Jersey Pine Barrens), Florida Giant d. filiformis, p. ionantha, p. caruelea, p. primuliflora, and p. planifolia. And one lone s. psittacina from Alabama! And hidden in the depths, p. macroceras ssp. macroceras.

Everybody at home, soaking up 12 1/2 hours of sun.

That must be Noah rifling through Steve's circulating bog...

Bugweed: That ain't Noah! Looks like me! And the Citronelle White beauty is in that moving water bog! It stands behind the s. X areolata X alata bloom and the leaf leaning to the right is one too. Tops are soooooo white, It blows the mind!

Less than 1/2% of 1 % of my plants grow in this condition. This circulating water bog is 17 years running. The soil base has never been changed, and superthrive is added every 2 or 3 months. Once a year, white vinegar to kick up the acid content, is added. The water is pumped up from the holding tank (the base) into the growing "tray". Five holes are opened in the bottom of the growing tray, and the whole thing covered with weed block cloth. Four more holes are drilled (3/8 inch) at 4 points around the water tray 1/2 inch from the top of the tray. Water pumped up from the base, enters the tray, and fills up to a certain point, and ends up dripping through the bottom into the base below, oxygenating the water. This oxygenated water is pumped through the soil base (pure Canadian sphagnum peat moss) and again drips into the base below it. The water NEVER goes stagnant, and is added to, due to evaporation, about every third day. 2 gallons is required to bring the water up to a three day level, before adding H2O again. Never have experienced root rot in this bog, and the growth is vigorous and healthy. The only fungal problems so far are anthracnose, which I deal with around here an a regular basis, so it is no thing. Orthene can be added to the water base, and the plants are well protected from insect pests. It is the best invention for growing CP that I know of. My Citronelle White that I love so much, used to grow 2 pitchers for the spring, and 2 for the fall, PERIOD! I put it in this bog at the beginning of the spring. So far this year, the growth exploded, and I have had 8 pitcher leaves so far, and new ones are again emerging. The rhizome has doubled its size. I would say it is happy and healthy. It never ever grew this way until I put it into this well oxygenated soil, with a real bog-like water flow. A healthy bog is beautiful to see, and this little bog, is worth its weight in gold! The pump speed (output) can be either 30 gallons per hour, or 60 gallons per hour, bog size depending. Mine is 30 gph. It works, and does away with standing water and mosquito pests, never goes stagnant, and needs water added every 2 or 3 days. Only cutworm can be a problem, whether in a pot standing in a water tray, or a circulating water bog like this one.

Oh wow.... I leave for a week and come back to 4 pages of posts!
smile.gif

Bugweed's collection is truly one in a thousand. I was quite duly impressed.

The menagerie of piture colours and forms was truly astounding, especially considering he has only two man-made hybrids in his entire collection!

His collection really underlined for me the importance of saving individual population strains... the variation within species was strikingly outlined. The thing that impressed me most though were the natural hybrids. Take a look at the following picture:

dsc015138rx.jpg

Beautiful plants, eh? Would you have guessed that every plant pictured here naturally occurs in the same single bog? I count at least 8 species and hybrids... each unique, gorgeous, and all naturally found in only one place in the world! (Tibbie Bog, Washington Co., AL) Makes one think about the value of a naturally occuring population.

A few pitchers that Forbes missed (I'm not even going to try labelling all of these... Bugweed, go ahead
smile.gif
):

Citronelle White Beauty. VERY white s. leucophylla.

Healthy plants attract bugs.
S. X popei. (Bagdad Bog, Santa Rosa Co., Fla.) Dinner time all the time!

s. X moorei Walton County, Fla.

s. X moorei Walton County, Fla.

Johns Autumnal Splendor

s. flava var. cuprea

s. r. wherryi in front, and s. X readii in the back.

One of the collection's two man-made hybrids: Hummer's Autumnal Splendor

Another view of the circulating bog

Another pitcher Bugweed wanted posted. I can't remember why. :)
S. flava var. atropurpurea. Ron Lane's veined red lip from Bay County.
As Forbes said it was a privilege to be able to tour this collection in person! Almost every single plant had location data, and everywhere one looked there was a new and amazing form of something. It was like going on a mini-tour of some of the east's greatest bogs. Thank you Steve!

-noah

the citronelle white beauty looks like it has alata in the mix...

Who knows, G of E?? Even Scnell suspects some forms of leucophylla. I self this plant, and the babies are very much leuco looking. As an adult, it looks more leuc in the Fall, last leaves of the season.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Forbes @ July 30 2005,3:50)]

That must be Noah rifling through Steve's circulating bog...

Bugweed: That ain't Noah! Looks like me! And the Citronelle White beauty is in that moving water bog! It stands behind the s. X areolata X alata bloom and the leaf leaning to the right is one too. Tops are soooooo white, It blows the mind!
Hahhahha!!! how cute!! a total hippie!! neat!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Carito @ Mar. 05 2006,7:52)]Hahhahha!!! how cute!! a total hippie!! neat!!!
You would be surprised that there is more than one old hippie in this crowd -- and we are all cute!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BobZ @ Mar. 14 2006,5:09)]You would be surprised that there is more than one old hippie in this crowd -- and we are all cute!
laugh.gif
Some of our most experienced growers are hippies.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BobZ @ Mar. 14 2006,7:09)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Carito @ Mar. 05 2006,7:52)]Hahhahha!!! how cute!! a total hippie!! neat!!!
You would be surprised that there is more than one old hippie in this crowd -- and we are all cute!
Haha! I've heard about YOU! Everyone tells me about YOU!

My friend Larry's friend event went to check out your place or something, you're supposedly the grandmaster hippie of them ALL!

Back